Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LT1 Steering Rack and Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Steering Rack and Steering Wheel

So when installing the rack, I made sure the rack was centered correctly with NOT one side longer than the other. I can't with words right now, I'm very sorry and i'm certain this thread will get 100 views with 0 replies.

The steering wheel is centered. The Rack is centered. The steering shaft won't go into the pinion shaft. Do I have to turn the wheel or the rack's pinion shaft? How will that affect alignment?
Old 09-22-2016, 10:01 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You can turn either to match, then adjust your toe rods accordingly to re-center everything

Just to confirm though, you are re-installing the LT1 rack on an LT1 k-member? Or have you swapped to an LS K? The racks are different, and their mounting

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 09-22-2016, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
You can turn either to match, then adjust your toe rods accordingly to re-center everything

Just to confirm though, you are re-installing the LT1 rack on an LT1 k-member? Or have you swapped to an LS K? The racks are different, and their mounting
This is an LT1 Rack on an LT1 car. Trans Am to be precise.

I centered the wheel, turned the car to off position and assured to lock it, turned the steering rack and installed the steering shaft.

Starting at wheel leveled:

Turning to right - 360 degrees to lock.

Turning to left - 360 + 45 degrees to lock.

Not a big issue, just wondering if there was a "right" way of doing this.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How far off is it? If you replaced the rack (or the tie rods) you NEED an alignment. Even measuring or counting the thread turns on the tie rod ends will only get you so close.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spartan7
How far off is it? If you replaced the rack (or the tie rods) you NEED an alignment. Even measuring or counting the thread turns on the tie rod ends will only get you so close.

I did get an alignment after replacing the rack. Just sucks that one side steers "more" degrees than the other. No biggie though.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't understand. Your original post made it seem like you couldn't get the linkage hooked up because the wheel was off, now you're just a little annoyed by the number of turns lock to lock?

If it bothers you that much, take it back to the alignment shop. You shouldn't be turning your wheel to full lock anyway, it puts extra strain on the pump.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ShovelMan
I did get an alignment after replacing the rack. Just sucks that one side steers "more" degrees than the other. No biggie though.
You said you "centered" the rack. What did you do, to indeed make sure it was centered? If you're counting turns "lock-to-lock", then exactly splitting the difference, that SHOULD work. However, if your outer tie rod ends are not screwed on an equal amount to the inner rods, and you're measuring from the ends to a center point, using a tape measure, and calling THAT "center", it could make a difference, I think....
Old 09-23-2016, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
You said you "centered" the rack. What did you do, to indeed make sure it was centered? If you're counting turns "lock-to-lock", then exactly splitting the difference, that SHOULD work. However, if your outer tie rod ends are not screwed on an equal amount to the inner rods, and you're measuring from the ends to a center point, using a tape measure, and calling THAT "center", it could make a difference, I think....
Centered the rack in my head means the INNER RODS are equal on both sides. Unmolested steering rack.

So now, the rack is "centered". The steering wheel is "centered" as well but the steering shaft won't go in, I have to turn the steering wheel a few degrees for the shaft to go in. Now it's in. Great!

The rack, still centered, has a steering wheel linkage that's NOT centered.

Sorry I'm not making myself clear to you guys.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ShovelMan
..........Sorry I'm not making myself clear to you guys.
I understand what you're saying, just trying to help you figure out your problem, and offering a possible solution..........It may be that "centered" mechanically, doesn't have the inner tie rods extending the EXACT same amount on each side from the rack's body (I assume that's what you're measuring from), and then any difference, is made up with the outer tie rod ends.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

So with the wheels straight (i.e. the rack "centered"), the wheel is not centered? Then you need another alignment. A decent shop should have addressed that.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:20 AM
Teching In

Hate to revive this, but I’m having the same problem. Got a remanufactured rack, but when both the rack and the steering wheel are centered, the steering linkage won’t slide onto the pinion shaft. I guess I could turn either the shaft or the steering wheel to make it fit, but I don’t want the steering wheel to be turned when driving straight.

Will an alignment re-center the steering wheel with the wheels?

Quick Reply: LT1 Steering Rack and Steering Wheel