Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

coil overs & shock ride height from extended height?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default coil overs & shock ride height from extended height?

the adjustable coil overs look very attractive because you can adjust where the spring perch sits on the tube thus changing your ride height, for front and rear.

what is the amount of distance in ride height available to play with?
I can only go i pictures since i haven't bought any yet, the shock tubes seem to be mostly threaded which i assume is more to help with installation not raise or lower the car 6 inches.
But once installed how much distance realistically can you adjust ride height?

I don't know the value for shock travel length, but when you go lower from stock ride height (which is anywhere from 1 to at most 3 inches ? ) is this significant and does that put you far away from the recommended shock installed height where it's 50% compressed?

Is since something to worry about when going with a coil over setup such as viking, q1a, or ridetech?
Old 10-03-2016, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I put the UMI/Strano set on my car and made a mistake guestimating the adjustments, I set the car on the ground and it was so low the jack popped out from under it and I had to lift the rear of the car to get it high enough to get a jack under the front.

The car was low enough that I could not roll a standard soda/beer can under the spot where the front fender bolts to the chassis (the "pinch weld" that's not a pinch weld). It was about 3/8" too low for the can to clear while laying on its side.

I didn't try it, but I also suspect that I can raise the car to stock ride height and likely a bit above that. So there really is enough adjustment to set the ride height about anywhere you want it. This will depend on the springs used in the kit you pick. The "free length" (uncompressed length) and spring rate can limit the amount of ride height available.

If your spring was only 1" tall (this is taking it to extremes), you won't have much ability to adjust the height because you just wouldn't have enough spring. Likewise, if you have really tall springs (unless they are super extra soft) you may run out of adjustment on the bottom of the shock before you get the car very low. But for most kits, the springs chosen are a useful length and there will be a fairly large range of adjustment available.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coil-overs have a generic advertisement of "above stock height to 3' lowering" this is said to be mostly true. Spring rates play a part in the achievable ride height like mentioned above. In a nutshell with the proper length/rate springs on a 4 th gen. you can be from stock height down low enough that you will have clearance issues.

If you order from a reputable company you shouldn't have a worry as to whether you will receive the correct stroke shock for your application.

Craig

Quick Reply: coil overs & shock ride height from extended height?