Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

No brakes!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default No brakes!!!

I just put on new high performance Power Stop S4692 calipers on my stock 2000 chevy Camaro. I have slotted and drilled rotors and some power stop pads. So I put them on yada yada spilt and dropped brake fluid in my car until I put everything together perfectly and after I bleed the brakes, they were soft. While the car was running I bleed them and they were firm. Once I started the vehicle and let it idle they brakes went soft immediately, I bleed the brake 4 times until I took it on the road and they didn't work, the only way to make them work was to floor the brake and during the time I would floor it it would slowly slow down until the brake would lock up and they will screech and I get a low traction light come on in my car. So I thought I was doing it wrong and went to jiffy lub since it was a Sunday and it was the only place open that had mechanics working, they vacuum bleed my brake and did exactly what I did and we had the same problem, the brakes were soft. The fluid was full and they bleed the brakes through the machine and manually through the bleed valves. At this point I didn't know what to do, I have an ASE certificate and it didn't really help in trouble shooting. What jiffy lube told me was it was the master cylinder, it wasn't strong enough to power the brakes and they wouldn't be able to close because there wasn't enough pressure. I went home and called Summit racing and JEGS and they both told me that from what I was telling them this couldn't be it, it could only be the ABS system it was bad. I don't have a light on and didn't have a problem with the brakes before at all. This is my only car and I have to drive in D2 and use the emergency brake for close calls. I'm going to get the sensor checked tomorrow at Pep Boys but until then I have no brakes. If anyone can could they help me trouble shoot this problem.
Brake list-
Rotors- http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....id=434&jpid=27
Calipers- Power Stop S4692 Performance Caliper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DGRRKSY..._AV8hybDZQBKMQ
Pads- IDK brand new
Everything else stock.

P.S: could anyone tell me how to clean brake fluid off a garage floor.
Attached Thumbnails No brakes!!!-img_1056.jpg   No brakes!!!-img_1216.jpg  
Old 11-06-2016, 07:11 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it possible you let the fluid get too low during the switch and bleeding process? Sounds too me like there's some hidden air in the system, either in the master cylinder, the ABS system, or both.

Otherwise I would recheck everything is installed correctly. Also check your brake booster though it's rare for them to go out especially when it was working before the work. (Assuming it was)
Old 11-06-2016, 07:18 PM
Teching In

No they stayed full the whole time, I even had jiffy lube bleed them for me.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The way im reading this, it seems your brakes work a little better when you have brake peddle to floor and you floor the gas peddle in nuetral i assume. If thats the case it sounds like a vaccum leak. Check your booster hose.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tug686spd
The way im reading this, it seems your brakes work a little better when you have brake peddle to floor and you floor the gas peddle in nuetral i assume. If thats the case it sounds like a vaccum leak. Check your booster hose.
Ok I'll try thanks!
Old 11-07-2016, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not trying to offend, but are the calipers on the correct side? Bleeders facing up? I've seen issues like this caused by bleeders facing down after somebody swapped calipers.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Smack the calipers with a rubber mallet. It will help knock bubbles off the sides of the caliper body (internally) and bleed them again. It's a lot like when you set a glass of soda down and as it hits the table a bunch of bubbles release from the walls and float to the top. I bleed them, smack them a few times, bleed some more. Eventually you should quit getting air out of the bleeder valve.

Quick Reply: No brakes!!!