Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Camaro SS project update

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 08:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been running the BFG Comp2 A/S all winter here in MA on my '96 Z28. Definitely not a snow tire but I've made it to work for all but one snow storm - 12" of snow means the Camaro stays in the garage... For daily driving they've been a good compromise.

Nick
Old 03-04-2017, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Once the weather breaks and the car can be out and about I am sure you will see more and more photo's.

Here's one of my friend Karl Bender's Pontiac in NBM on Gunmetal CF5's.

Are these the same offset as yours? Do you know what size tires and if any clearancing needed?
Old 03-04-2017, 09:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by No Juice
Are these the same offset as yours? Do you know what size tires and if any clearancing needed?
What is your definition of "clearancing"? You probably want to roll the fenders, but not everyone does. His CF5's and mine are different. His CF5's and my F14's are very close but not exactly the same given the fenders and quarters on the Firebird are bigger than the Camaro.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-04-2017, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What is your definition of "clearancing"? You probably want to roll the fenders, but not everyone does. His CF5's and mine are different. His CF5's and my F14's are very close but not exactly the same given the fenders and quarters on the Firebird are bigger than the Camaro.
I was referring to your F14's. I would define clearancing by the need to roll fenders as you mentioned, but also hammering inner fenders and shaving bump stops.

I'm guessing yours would not stick out as far on the Firebird, which I would prefer. I assume his are also 18x11 on all four with 315's ? The photo makes his fronts look smaller.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:56 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rickscamz28
I was thinking about those too but how do they handle,traction guys?.
I have 275/40-17 on 9.5" wide rims all around and if I want to I can make them spin, but if you drive like you're supposed to and ease into the throttle in first and second you won't have any problems. As far as traction in a roadholding sense goes they're fantastic. Which mine are the summer version so they'll be a little better than the all season version, but if you live where it's colder the all season will perform better more of the time.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Boxxx
I have 275/40-17 on 9.5" wide rims all around and if I want to I can make them spin, but if you drive like you're supposed to and ease into the throttle in first and second you won't have any problems. As far as traction in a roadholding sense goes they're fantastic. Which mine are the summer version so they'll be a little better than the all season version, but if you live where it's colder the all season will perform better more of the time.
Drove them on the Camaro today. Like them as much here as I do on my 330Ci. I could get it sideways without a lot of effort in 2nd while turning, but straight-ahead they took the juice fine.

In fact I may run a few sessions at Summit Point this coming weekend on them before switching to other tires (not sure if Rival S or Hoosier's, or both).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-06-2017, 06:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Just a heads up for you guys, it's that time of year when things get insane around here... as such this is the first of many notices about my being out of the office. Desiree will be here, but I will be out 3/7 and 3/8.

Running up to see Ryan and they guys at UMI to put some new goodies on the Camaro. There are threats of a FB live thing happening, so Ryan says. I hate having my picture taken, so I might resist.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sam has made it and the dismantling has begun:

Old 03-07-2017, 10:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Plowed through a bunch today.

Got my Improved Racing oil pan baffles in, once I get the bar back to my shop and it warms up more I'll still have to get my oil cooler, temp and pressure gauges in.

The K-member slashed about 25 pounds off the car. It's in and fit like a glove which is why I like working with and selling UMI stuff. Have been for a long time, don't intend to stop. Upper arms are in as well.

Finishing up tomorrow. Spindles and brakes back on, boxed lower arms and a rough alignment to get it a quick test drive and back on my trailer. Then I'll align it on my Hunter machine shortly thereafter.

Sadly, for the 2nd time in a few weeks a track event may be cancelled. This one for snow and brutally cold temps. :/ If so, the Camaro will have to wait a bit until I return from Georgia and the first SCCA Tour of the year. Back to slumming in my Z06.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

After two solid days with the guys up @ UMI, we are done. Car has new K-member and upper and lower arms installed. And with 1/3rd tank of fuel, a fire extinguisher, a harness bar, and not my lightest wheels it rang in @ 3301 on their scales. I'll rescale it to corner weigh it and align it sometime in the next few weeks.

Let's just say anyone lacking negative camber isn't running a UMI Road race K-member. -3 pretty easy.

While there we did some other little detail, R&D things. Each of us do our own, but together we get more done, quicker. I don't think anyone else has teamed up like this.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, a very successful day. We make a pretty good team and that means more awesome products coming for you guys. We have some great ideas and more cool stuff in works.

Here's some pictures from the installation I snapped yesterday. You'll notice in picture one is a new small item coming out, Delrin rack bushings.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I will try to get more pictures later. I'm running way behind, but just got loaded up for an event this weekend.

Haven't updated this in a while but been hard at work on the SS.

Autopower roll bar installed. Mocal oil cooler installed​ along with an oil temp gauge. Fire extinguisher in. Alignment done after the K member and control arm swap, that's when I also put improved racing oil baffles in the pan.

Raybestos st45 race pads on the front and bedded.

SKF X tracker hubs on with a prototype set of Hub adapters that we hope to be adding to the product line shortly.

Running on this weekend on a 200 treadwear set of BFG rival s. Because I have to shake down the car this way for muscle car events. I'd rather be on Hoosiers but sometimes testing requires differences.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:08 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Been too long since an update. Just got back from the MotorState Challenge last weekend. Had some ups and downs. Didn't get to autocross my car, jumped into Ryan Kirkwood's Camaro for that (thank you Ryan!) as my car broke something deep inside the engine.

But I got a couple timed sessions in @ Gingerman Raceway. I had never been there before, and ran pretty good laps considering before it broke my car made about 355 RWHP, far, FAR less than a lot of cars out there.

Well, since it's broken, we are going to remedy the lack of power to some degree. Looking to make about 500 at the crank in the next few weeks, with a cam that will work with a Procharger if I need more later. Conklin Racing Engines is going to build it for me with parts I am gathering (see I do those kind of parts too!). And UMI has offered to help me swap it at their shop since I don't have a two post lift, or the bodies and time to do it myself in the time frame we are trying for.

Hoping to get done for the August 11-12 UMI Autocross event. Then run it at the NE MuscleCar challenge, and the NM Optima event right after.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Looking good Sam!
Old 07-29-2017, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Videos like that are the reason I know the F-body can handle incredibly well, he even passed a C6 and I imagine the driver was pretty good but maybe not as good as him.

Shame about the motor blowing, hopefully it can be replaced in time.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Sorry about the motor, Sam. How will you mitigate the Procharger heat in the engine bay if you go that route?

Do you happen to know how the weight of the 18x11 F14's compares with the OEM 18x10.5 Z06 Speedlines? Which offers better BBK clearance?

My car is about 3490lbs without driver, I'd love to lose 200lbs of curb weight with a 1/2 full fuel tank without significantly reducing it's daily driver features/reliability. Are you willing to share what you did to drop the chassis weight? The last time I corner balanced the car, the weights without me in it were 1035/948 front, and 795/701 rear.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Have not updated in a while, not a lot to update. But now, now there is some progress.

New engine is finishing the build. Cam came in yesterday.

AFR heads are in. Mahle pistons, Comp roller rockers, Forged rods, ARP bolts and studs, etc. The cam is custom, but until I see how it runs I'm not giving specs. AFTER I will.

Now what I have to do is figure out what I need for injectors, which isn't exactly my wheelhouse.

But when the car is done it should run quite well, thats always the hope, right? Too bad it will be done at a time I can't run it for months.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by JimMueller
Sorry about the motor, Sam. How will you mitigate the Procharger heat in the engine bay if you go that route?

Do you happen to know how the weight of the 18x11 F14's compares with the OEM 18x10.5 Z06 Speedlines? Which offers better BBK clearance?

My car is about 3490lbs without driver, I'd love to lose 200lbs of curb weight with a 1/2 full fuel tank without significantly reducing it's daily driver features/reliability. Are you willing to share what you did to drop the chassis weight? The last time I corner balanced the car, the weights without me in it were 1035/948 front, and 795/701 rear.
IF I go the supercharger route... it has twin intercoolers. And heat beyond that is just something that happens. I have an oil cooler already.

Weight of those wheels is very similar. My Forgestar 9.5's weigh almost identical to my C6Z 9.5" Speedlines. Both have tons of room for big brakes. Only one of those two is built to fit without spacers, etc. and has an extra 1/2" of width.

There is no secret. Light battery, no rear seat or seat belts, A/C is out, radio is out. A/C will go back in at some point, screw that. And it was light on fuel. No massive rear axle, light wheels, a compact big brake kit, not overkill, etc.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Have not updated in a while, not a lot to update. But now, now there is some progress.
So you're building a new stock displacement LS1 with AFR cathedral heads? You need known good injector data for the best results and for that I'm partial to OEM injectors because the data is easy to massage; but the later years are shorter so you need a spacer. How much peak power are you predicting at the crank? An injector spreadsheet indicates:

N/A 500bhp: at least a 36lb/hr injector and 160l/hr fuel pump
N/A 600bhp: at least a 42lb/hr injector and 192l/hr fuel pump
SC 600bhp: at least a 60lb/hr injector and 280l/hr fuel pump

You're on my list to call by the end of the year for some upgrades
Old 11-02-2017, 10:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by JimMueller
So you're building a new stock displacement LS1 with AFR cathedral heads? You need known good injector data for the best results and for that I'm partial to OEM injectors because the data is easy to massage; but the later years are shorter so you need a spacer. How much peak power are you predicting at the crank? An injector spreadsheet indicates:

N/A 500bhp: at least a 36lb/hr injector and 160l/hr fuel pump
N/A 600bhp: at least a 42lb/hr injector and 192l/hr fuel pump
SC 600bhp: at least a 60lb/hr injector and 280l/hr fuel pump

You're on my list to call by the end of the year for some upgrades
That's what I'm doing. A stock displacement (I mean 5.7 makes for some strong LS6's, right?). And a set of AFR Cathedral heads plus a few other things.

thanks for the listings on the sizes.

Call me you know where I am.

Quick Reply: Camaro SS project update