Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

in for updates
Old 01-10-2017, 09:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

In for updates!! Sam what exhaust are you running?
Old 01-11-2017, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Watched your vids on my 55" Samsung tv with surround just now.. shook my house!

Love that you're doing this in basically my car Nice work!
Old 01-13-2017, 05:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

Nothing new to report at this time. It's winter in PA. So not much to tell you.

The exhaust setup is currently a set of American Racing Headers w/high flow cats (one of many brands I carry) with a Magnaflow muffler and a dump. Not a cat-back system, but I'll be changing that in the near future. It's just too loud and obnoxious for my taste. Debating what system I'll be putting on it.

Hubs. Currently they are stock GM hubs. Those are also on the upgrade list. But I'm working on my own adapter brackets to accept the SKF Corvette Race hubs. But unlike other shops that have lots of others around, I do this stuff mostly alone so it takes some time.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-13-2017, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested to see these adapter brackets you develop.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Nothing new to report at this time. It's winter in PA. So not much to tell you.

The exhaust setup is currently a set of American Racing Headers w/high flow cats (one of many brands I carry) with a Magnaflow muffler and a dump. Not a cat-back system, but I'll be changing that in the near future. It's just too loud and obnoxious for my taste. Debating what system I'll be putting on it.

Hubs. Currently they are stock GM hubs. Those are also on the upgrade list. But I'm working on my own adapter brackets to accept the SKF Corvette Race hubs. But unlike other shops that have lots of others around, I do this stuff mostly alone so it takes some time.
It sounds amazing now but I understand what you mean. Have you dynoed it yet?
Old 01-15-2017, 05:03 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

just watched the video and i was amazed at how many times you adjusted the mirror all while hauling ***.. lol. maybe that's something to fix during winter. good driving
Old 01-16-2017, 12:39 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by King Nothing
It sounds amazing now but I understand what you mean. Have you dynoed it yet?
It was dyno'ed previously. I can't rightly remember what it made. It's a stock LS1 with light clutch, flywheel, damper, headers and a lid. Depends on the dyno really. My old 2001, the white one made 320 at the wheels on a Mustang, which is around 360 Dynojet-ish which I seem to recall that's where this was, roughly.

Adjusting the mirror. Yeah, the mirror needs to tightened. Any touch of the curbs would just shake it and I like to see what, if anything, is coming. Luckily that's not a lot of cars very often. Max. velocity coming into turn 1 @ summit on that day was 135.

Thinking about what's next: I have 18x11 Forgestar F14's inbound. I signed up for the NE MuscleCar challenge in August with it. I'll do UMI's event here in PA around the same time. My biggest thing is needing to decide a course of action with the power side of things.

An SCCA legal ESP class car can embarrass a lot of cars, badly. That's what my white car is/was, and the SS is now. It might be time to cut that cord and add some power so I'm not at a disadvantage when it comes to the road course and things like drag racing @ LS Fest (If I can ever make it).

I still abide by using autocross to prove the handling. Road course certainly included handling but a lot of that time is also "handling" the straights and oh boy power drops your lap time a lot. Saw it close up late this year in UMI's 2010 Camaro. Dominated 2 of 3 autocrosses, was 2nd in another. But in the same car was a few seconds back a lap from the overall winner. They added total times. I made up a lot of ground in total, finishing second overall in that event in a car with a stock LS3 and headers (no tune) to one with a Mast motor (and a lot of other stuff).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subbed.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Signed up for the Optima event in NJ in late August. Leave for SCCA Solo Nationals almost immediately after. Plan is to take the Camaro SS because that's the car I want you guys to remember.

I have made a big decision on the project, and I'm going to get more aggressive with the setup than I've been able to do up to this point because of rule that would not let me add power, or change K-members, etc. Both of those things (and more) are on the list.

Looking to get some shake down time shortly, maybe at Dominion Raceway in Virginia. Haven't been there yet and if the weather is good and I get some suspension updates on (won't have more power) car should be back on track before March.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Today's update:

As you should know, I hope, I am a Forgestar dealer. I got my new set of wheels in for the Camaro today.

Here they are out of the box, Matte Black.

Excuse the pieces parts on the lift, working on two other projects.

And with a 315 BFG Rival S mounted up on with the Strano Performance Parts Wilwood caliper/brake kit (with lots of room to spare no spacer needed... these clear big brakes by a mile).

Old 01-31-2017, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

I like.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Beautiful! So what are the details on those sexy wheels?
Old 02-01-2017, 03:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

the Offset is proprietary, can build a set for you like mine, or like the set I did for UMI's 4th gen (Jerry's car), which are slightly different for a few technical reasons. They are 18x11" F14's in Matte Black.

Last edited by Sam Strano; 02-02-2017 at 04:07 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:32 PM
TECH Veteran

18x11 all the way around??
Old 02-01-2017, 05:06 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Indeed.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those wheels look great!! How much would a setup like that cost and how much work is needed to get them to fit (on a stock ride / 1LE spring car)?
Old 02-02-2017, 12:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Indeed.
Bad ***!
Old 02-02-2017, 04:19 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by vtirocz
Those wheels look great!! How much would a setup like that cost and how much work is needed to get them to fit (on a stock ride / 1LE spring car)?
It always surprises folks when I tell them there is next to no work involved in fitting these. Get the offset right and at worst you have very minimal rub in the most extreme instances.

Understand that we are putting on wheels that are 2" wider than the widest stock wheel that ever came on the car. And not all tires are the same actual width. Like not all 315's are the same, some are fatter than others. For instance I just looked at some and section widths varied from 11.7" to 12.6". Clearly the fatter tire on the very same wheel will take up more space and might rub something more than a smaller one.

the only way to make sure it's never an issue, ever is simply to run smaller wheels and tires.

No flaring is needed. Rear bumpstops ARE needed. DO NOT CUT THOSE OFF lest you create other issues from tire rub to over traveling shocks and breaking stuff. Never a bad idea with big tires and wheels to roll the fenders but I wouldn't say it is *required*.

The offset matters as does what you are using for your lateral location. A stock PHB or a really crooked one (like a Relocation kit on the right side only) will let the body move around more than an rod-ended bar and one that is leveled. Those still have more lateral movement than a Watts link. And that lateral movement is the body squirming left and right over the axle. So a Watts link means less chance of rubbing. And it can be a large difference. I ran tests with 11" wheels (same wheels and tires) on a PHB setup with rod-ends and a Fays2 Watts Link which is the one I use/recommend/sell. Let's just say with a PHB I needed 3/8" spacers per rear wheel on top of my built in offset to minimize rub on the inside, and the PHB had to be set asymmetrically too because of the arcing motion the body runs through with them. Watts link. Squared the car, no rub. Then removed the spacers. Still no rubbing on the inside.

The offset is the key which is the hardest thing to figure out. But I know it. And we can vary it a bit depending on what kind of mods, what tires you run (how wide) and if you have rolled or are willing to roll the fenders.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Cost is less than than a nice set of headers. Depending on options, in an 18x11" looking at about $1500 for the set.

Quick Reply: Camaro SS project update