Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Major wheel-hop after Tranny/SPEC 3 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 03:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Major wheel-hop after Tranny/SPEC 3 Swap

I just put in a new tranny and a SPEC Stage 3 clutch/billet flywheel. Before the swap, I never had a problem with wheel-hop. Now I get it everytime I leave first gear. I can launch fine. I've dropped the clutch at 3 grand and it hooked great actually. But leaving first gear normal driving is a bitch. I have to rev it up to 1500 rpms or slip it real bad to avoid it. At first I was thinking it was clutch chatter but the rear wheels are actually hoping. Nothing strange is going on up front. Is clutch chatter the same as wheel-hop? I don't know for sure why it's doing this but I'm thinking it had to do with the install. We swapped it all out on the ground, jacked up about two and a half feet. The suspension was not loaded at all when we tightened the torque arm. Would that make a difference?

The car is lowered but I have a PHR and LCA's with relocation brackets. Regardless, like I said it didn't do it before and nothing else suspension wise has changed. Looking at my LCA's, I do notice that they are parallel with the ground. I think I read somewhere that they are supposed to be pointing down at the axle end. They are BMR brackets and the next bolt below is about two inches. That might be too much. Any suggestions. Thanks- Mike W.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I donno, still sounds exactly like Chatter to me. Did you have someone watch the tires hopping as you took off? These are definetly not the same thing.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:46 AM
Staging Lane

Try the lower holes for the LCA/relocation brackets. The whole reason relo brackets were invented is to reduce/eliminate wheel hop with lowered cars. This is accomplished by angling the rear LCA's toward the rear. If LCA's are parallel w/ground, that explains your wheel hop. Try it, if you don't like it, switch it back. But you will like it.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Six weeks later and its still chattering like day one. I ran into a friend of mine with a SPEC 3 and he said that he was told the billet Flywheel increased clutch chatter. He's running the stock flywheel and has no problems. I drove his car and its smooth as silk.
Also, I moved the LCA's down and it didn't help at all. Any more suggestions? Thanks.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

Wow, That would be pretty annoying Mike. I reread your original post. You never experienced wheel hop before, then you installed Spec3, and now you have wheel hop all the time. Your firiend has a stock clutch which is super smooth.

I am sure you are aware the Spec3 is heavy duty, and engages much quicker than the stock -- great for the track. But needs a little more attention cruising in the city. Chatter is very common, but I haven't heard of anyone getting wheelhop after a Spec 3 (that did not have it before).

Since there should be no mistaking wheelhop w/chatter, I presume you are getting wheel hop w/both your track and daily driver tires. I also presume you already checked and retightened the Torque Arm -- 2 bolts in the rear and 1 bracket up front. If yes, I would say your clutch install was done improperly, maybe it is engaging and disengaging causing the wheel hop on gradual acceleration. Possible solutions: re-do the install, dump the clutch at 3,000 at every red light, or live with the wheel hop. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be wrong, but it sure sounds like clutch chatter to me. If it chatters badly enough it will make your rear tires kind of do this weird "chirp and release" kind of thing. Highly unlikely that it's wheelhop in the traditional sense. I'd be contacting the clutch manufacturer for a newby ? Did you break it in as per recommendations ? Is your rear main seal leaking at all ? Oil on your clutch can cause nightware clutch chatter .
Old 08-10-2004, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will be installing gears soon so hopefully that will help it some. I can drive around it but it's annoying. I have to rev it up to 1600 rpm or nearly bog and have a slow start. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:53 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Was that Billet wheel lighter then the original flywheel? If so that will be some of your problem since you would have to rev more to get moving ( since it would be less stored energy {inertia}) also those carbon metallic disc are just beasts when cold . A change to a higher numerical ratio will greatly help some . This could eliminate a lot of chatter but the quicker you can release the clutch the less the chatter will be. Just one last thing if u still get severe chatter , 1) your not getting full clutch release ( highy unlikely but still a chance ) 2) disk contamination (probable)

Iknow you said sixweeks of driving , but has that been 450 miles of breakin?
I got the same set up going in plus a fidenza wheel. plus another friend has it also with 3.89 gears . He say's there is still chatter on take off if you try to slip the clutch and leave, but it is tolerable.
I deem clutch disks like brake pads, you can't have your cake and eat. Its all about compromises. With a clutch like the spec stage III , the compromise is smooth take off from a stop especially with a lightened flywheel.
Excuse the long windedness.

Last edited by roy; 08-10-2004 at 12:55 PM. Reason: unclear sentence

Quick Reply: Major wheel-hop after Tranny/SPEC 3 Swap