Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bleeding the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bleeding the brakes

I'm going to a 2 day driver's ed course with the BMW club in July and wanted to replace my brake pads. So couple of questions:

1. Don't want the expensive stuff... just want to get the autozone pads. Is that good for high speed use and what's the part#?

2. My car has 25k miles (2000 WS6). Is it good practice to bleed the brakes when replacing pads?

3. What brake fluid do you guys recommend? For more than just regular driving use.

4. For cars with ABS, I've heard that bleeding the brakes is a bit more complicated because of the ABS reservoir. Is that true? What extra tools do I need for this?

Thanks,
- Fred.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red00WS6_DreamBird
I'm going to a 2 day driver's ed course with the BMW club in July and wanted to replace my brake pads.
Good thinking ... you will have the time of your life ....

1. Don't want the expensive stuff... just want to get the autozone pads. Is that good for high speed use and what's the part#?
Bad thinking .... you have the scare of your life. Havnig no brakes because you over heated them and they faded is a ver bad feeling. Do yourself a favor and invest in a set of Carbotech Panther Plus pads. Install new AZ cheapie rotors.

Then go back to your current setup afterwards.

2. My car has 25k miles (2000 WS6). Is it good practice to bleed the brakes when replacing pads?
Not necessary when just replacing pads ... but it is when replacing pads to go out and build mountains of heat in your brake system on a road course.

3. What brake fluid do you guys recommend? For more than just regular driving use.
Opinions vary ... I suggest Valvoline SynPower. It's in a gold contanier. Buy 2 quarts and flush the system with all of it. It's cheap ...

4. For cars with ABS, I've heard that bleeding the brakes is a bit more complicated because of the ABS reservoir. Is that true? What extra tools do I need for this?
Only if you run the MC dry of fluid. Otherwise, it's a typical bleeding procedure ...

Have fun and hope this helps.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a bunch mitchntx; that was some good info.

You sound like you've taken your LS1 to the track as well. Which one? And how was it? More importantly, were there any specific things to "look out for" or "be prepared for"?
Old 06-23-2004, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can only assume you are going to Road Atlanta? Nice track and kinda tricky from what I hear.

Been on course a couple of times ...

Motorsport Ranch, Texas World Speedway, Texas Motor Speedway and Hallett Racing Circuit are the only tracks I have visited. But, I've been doing it for over 3 years. So, I'm far from an expert ... but, I have learned a few things ...

Things to look out for ...

- run an extra qt of oil in the crankcase. I run 7. You can uncover the p/u tube in the pan under high G, high rpm, long left hand sweepers

- keep an eye on your tires (street tires I presume). In the hot summer sun, tire temps can get WAY up there. You can start chunking hunks of rubber

- pay attention to your PS pump. If you hear it beginning to whine, it's getting too hot. I've seen numerous PS pump seals fail. You have a WS6, so it has a cooler installed. That's good, but not enough.

- your car will understeer badly. If it's possible, get a front end alignment with these specs ...

as much negative camber as possible
as much positive caster as possible
zero toe

the car's responsiveness will be amazing and tire wear will be reduced significantly.

- Change your oil and filter BEFORE the event and immediately after. You will definitely abuse the lubricants ... oil temps will easily be at 300* after a hard 20 minute session.

- USE the cooldown lap. Slow speed (40-50mph) at 2-2.5K rpm (for good coolant circulation) and NO brakes

- Leather seats suck. They are hot and slick. You will slide all over the place. LOL

- Pay attention to your instructor. You have a TON of HP and can easily light up the tires on corner exit.

- Drink a ton of water. You will work your *** off out there.

- Do yourself a favor and decide right now you are gonna go back and do the event again at a later date. This time out, be very cautious and meticulous. Learning the track, your limits and the car's limits is just too much to ask in one weekend. So, concentrate on your skills and learn the track ... the car will be there for you next time.

Have fun most of all. You have a LOT of car under you. You have to screw up pretty bad to get in trouble, but it has happened. Preparartion is the key for both car and driver.

Feel free to ask any questions ....

Quick Reply: Bleeding the brakes