Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake pedal intermittently sinks as if a leak exists or the master cylinder is faulty

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pedal intermittently sinks as if a leak exists or the master cylinder is faulty

I’ve experienced intermittent brake pedal travel to the floor as if a fluid leak existed or the master cylinder was faulty on my ’99 SS Camaro. I inspected all lines, connections and calipers for possible leaks, and noted no loss of fluid in the master cylinder. I bled the system, took a test drive, and still experienced intermittent excessive brake travel that required pumping to get the pedal up.

The next day I inspected the car again for leaks and drove off to get a replacement master cylinder and not once did the brake pedal sink. I’ve since test drove the car for 5 more days over 50 miles and still haven’t experienced any sinking pedal. I’m puzzled. Did the bleeding take care of my problem? Was the short period of sinking pedal after bleeding the system just a fluke, a pocket of air that was trapped somewhere and surfaced out, resolving my problem? Or did the complete flush of all the 5 year old brake fluid remove any moisture or air but took a day to take effect? Did the fluid change just mask failing master cylinder seals that will soon turn up again?

My vehicle has traction control and I’ve read that proper bleeding when replacing the master cylinder requires the use of a tach-1 scan tool for properly switching the systems solenoids while bleeding. Could there be a problem that requires professional service beyond my gear head garage mentality?
….Thanks for any responses….