Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

need new brakes, let me learn from your mistakes!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Default need new brakes, let me learn from your mistakes!

I need rotors/pads on all 4 corners.

Car is just a street car. I want quality parts that will last.

I wanted to run high alloy centric 125 series rotors up front. Can't decide on pads. Rear I was thinking basic parts store semi-met pads/rotors...wearever brand from advanceauto.

Anyone have any advice? If you needed all 4 pads/rotors again what would you run?
Old 01-18-2017, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never ran Centric's 125 series "High Carbon Rotors" but if my rotors need replacing, those are the ones I'm going to get. My car is nearly 100% street year round with autocross during the summer. I've heard good reviews about the 125 series rotors so I wouldn't hesitate to get them next, I just don't have any personal experience with them yet.

For street pads, I prefer quiet ones, so ceramic. Not saying that semi-metallic aren't quiet, just that overall ceramic pads tend to make very little noise no matter what the temperature is. If semi-metallic ones are bedded in correctly, they also should make nearly zero noise as well, depending on which semi-metallics you get, some semi-metallic pads squeal no matter what. I've heard that StopTech Street pads are pretty good overall pads, never ran then personally yet again. I have ran Centric's Posi-Quiet pads (a step down from StopTech Street pads) and they were very quiet and had a nice progressive bite as you pushed down on the brake pedal. The Posi-Quiet pads made some grooves in the rotors though, it didn't affect anything other than looks, I'm not sure if that's just the nature of ceramic pads or if I just got unlucky.

The rears I'd go with what you mentioned. An auto parts store rotor and pad should be fine.

Don't forget to check all of your caliper guide pins and regrease them, along with any other brake hardware. That'll make sure your brakes are working as they should
Old 01-18-2017, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

don't forget to apply some blue Loctite on the caliper bolts (not the brake caliper bolts/pins). they tend to loosen after a while (ask me how I know).
Old 01-18-2017, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trilkb
I need rotors/pads on all 4 corners.

Car is just a street car. I want quality parts that will last.

I wanted to run high alloy centric 125 series rotors up front. Can't decide on pads. Rear I was thinking basic parts store semi-met pads/rotors...wearever brand from advanceauto.

Anyone have any advice? If you needed all 4 pads/rotors again what would you run?
HELL NO to wearever brand

I'd get centric premium rotors and the OEM pads. No dust and good wear with pads and rotors. Rockauto should sell everything. Check Tire Rack to compare prices for the rotors. They've been cheaper recently for centric rotors.

The OEM rotors are similar in price to the Centrics I think, so maybe even go with those. Quality/durable
Old 01-18-2017, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Rock auto had great pricing until I hit the "calculate shipping" button and it added 30$ shipping. Ebay has some for 64 shipped. I also thought about centric premiums, but the reason I consider advance auto wearever is because I can get 30% off.

Good to hear people don't look down on the centric 125s. I think that's a go for fronts. Still unsure which pads from the replies but maybe I'll do a centric ceramic.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Also...power stop vs stop tech brake pads....which is better and is either good?
Old 01-18-2017, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

centric premiums are great because the hats are powdercoated already. the advance rotors are bare metal all over, either need painted or will rust.

gotta be careful with ceramic pads. can leave deposits on the rotors (aka "warping"). OR wear/score the rotors

When we do brakes, we get the OEM rotors or centric premiums, then always do OEM pads. Chevy/Honda/Toyota/VW... always happy and lasted similar duration of time full OEM brakes setups lasted
Old 01-18-2017, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I went with Bendix stock replacement rotors from Rockauto and got some Hawk HPS pads. Quiet, low dust and $275 shipped to my door. If I had to do it over I would buy the exact same parts.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dojob
centric premiums are great because the hats are powdercoated already. the advance rotors are bare metal all over, either need painted or will rust.

gotta be careful with ceramic pads. can leave deposits on the rotors (aka "warping"). OR wear/score the rotors

When we do brakes, we get the OEM rotors or centric premiums, then always do OEM pads. Chevy/Honda/Toyota/VW... always happy and lasted similar duration of time full OEM brakes setups lasted
I wouldn't recommend OEM pads for these cars, only street driven or not, they're not great.
And as far as ceramic pads, while they don't make noise and most of the time leave little dust, they simply suck for stopping power, especially compared to a semi-metallic.
I would highly suggest hawk HPS pads, great stopping power(WAY WAY better than OEM or OEM replacement, and ceramic isn't even comparable) with no noise and minimal dusting.
Your choice of blank rotors front and rear, and honestly you can run whatever pad on the rear as vast majority of the stopping power is in the front, and if you get too aggressive in the rear you will lock them up and cause brake hop under hard stopping.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I can maybe help here. I'm not Rock Auto, but I am a site sponsor and I carry StopTech/Centric, as well as other brands of rotors and pads too. PowerStop, StopTech, Hawk, EBC, Wilwood, and the list goes on and on.

RockAuto isn't about helping with details. They are essentially a clearing house. They make hardly anything and sell lot. I can't do that, I'm small. I'm also here for advice, own these cars (and others), and can help customers figure out what's what. I test things. I've run the PowerStop pads, Z23 and Z26. Unimpressed. I've run StopTech pads. Ok, but not great, not really my liking. I use more Hawk than anything as their coverage in terms of compounding is huge vs others (I don't like them all mind you). I've run 4 different EBC compounds. etc.

If you are after the cheapest parts you can get, for the Rock(Auto) bottom dollar, well I'm not able to help. If you want my help I don't as a premium for it, but I do have to make a living and my StopTech prices are way more than fair when compared to other places, reputable places.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-19-2017, 08:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

I just bought centric rotors for all 4 corners.....no test time yet, but again liked how the non contact areas of the rotor were painted/coated. I also ran hawk ceramic outback and hawk 5.0s up front.....bias was in my mind figured id try something new to try and balance.....
Old 01-19-2017, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

And op as far as the mistakes go, i will never do drilled/slotted rotors again.....blanks blanks blanks
Old 01-20-2017, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Yea I've never run, and never will run, drilled and slotted rotors on a street car.

So which hawk pads do people like and hate? Do the cheapest hawk pads still exceed an oem/oem equivalent pad? Is there anything in the 50-75$ range?

Strano, you wrote a lot but never really said what specifically you like, care to go into that? Which hawk pads don't you care for and are they on street or track cars? Which have you found to be good (for street car).

​​​​​​​Like what I hear about centric though, but I've read others complain about 120 series over 125.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have never had an issue with drilled/slotted rotors.

I use Hawk HPS pads which are worlds better than the "oem" level parts store pads.

I will never use ceramic pads again. The ones I've tried left a lot of dust and were extremely sensitive to temp. They faded very fast and seemed to glaze...had to pull them and sand the pad and rotor before they would half *** work again.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Well I went with centric high carbon 125 series rotors up front and wagner quickstop semi metallic pads. Out back I just got cheap centric pads and can hopefully reuse the rotors. I couldn't decide on hawk hps vs ebc red stuff so just spent 22$ on the wagers for now, I like their thermoquiet pads. I can throw 100$ pads on it if I come to a better decision. Right now I just need it fixed lol.

Last edited by trilkb; 01-22-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm pretty happy with my stoptech stuff on the street. I switch to blanks and hawks for auto-x, but the zinc coated rotors still look good on the streets.

Quick Reply: need new brakes, let me learn from your mistakes!