Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Gabriel ReadyMount

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gabriel ReadyMount

Any one have experience with these. Seem pretty easy to install but can not find reviews for my tipe of car. 2000 camaro v6.....https://www.carid.com/2000-chevy-cam...-79724555.html
Old 01-24-2017, 06:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They're certainly not a "high performance" shock, and if you're looking for a lowered ride height, I doubt that they'll provide it. Pretty much a "stock height, garden variety" replacement part.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

What are you trying to use them to fix?
Old 01-24-2017, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Was going to change all my shocks because there old and when I have other people in car and hit small bumps in the road, it feels like I'm bottoming out.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bilstein's would pair really nicely with your stock springs if you want to retain stock ride height.

I have a hard time using the words recommend and gabriel in the same sentence.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackandgold
i have a hard time using the words recommend and gabriel in the same sentence.
:d :d :d
Old 01-24-2017, 04:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Bilstein's would pair really nicely with your stock springs if you want to retain stock ride height.

I have a hard time using the words recommend and gabriel in the same sentence.
I agree.....HOWEVER, if the OP is looking to do the work himself, and isn't highly experienced, or has the necessary spring compressors, these "ready to go" set-ups would be easy for him to swap in. But indeed, Bilsteins would be a better choice.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:56 PM
Teching In

My second pick would be the Koni STR.T Street Shocks, and the third would have been the Bilstein. And i will have help putting these on. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I agree.....HOWEVER, if the OP is looking to do the work himself, and isn't highly experienced, or has the necessary spring compressors, these "ready to go" set-ups would be easy for him to swap in. But indeed, Bilsteins would be a better choice.
You can rent spring compressors from advance auto for free and if you're capable of swapping the assembly you're capable of using compressors. I did it myself in highschool with no help so I'm pretty sure it's not rocket science.

If you have help definitely spend a little extra and put in a little extra for the good stuff. It's worth it.

Last edited by blackandgold; 01-24-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can rent spring compressors from advance auto for free and if you're capable of swapping the assembly you're capable of using compressors. I did it myself in highschool with no help so I'm pretty sure it's not rocket science.

If you have help definitely spend a little extra and put in a little extra for the good stuff. It's worth it.
X2, I feel like I'm just dittoing whatever you say blackandgold haha, I guess great minds think alike

I rented my spring compressors from an auto parts store and returned them when I was done and got my money back, it'll save you a bit of money for something you'll probably not use again for at least a few years. If ride quality matters to you at all, defintely save a little more for the Bilsteins (or Str.ts.) Not saying that the Gabriel's are bad, just that Bilstein is a reputable brand that balances ride comfort and good driveability along with a shock that should last a long time too. However, they will be more pricey for sure. Depends on if you'll need shock mounts, insulators, and coil spring insulators for each of the front sides (this is where the Gabriel ReadyMount looks to be the better/easier and cheaper option.)

Ride quality is everything to me, so much that I couldn't take the solid axle for my daily driver (mainly because the roads I drive on unsettle the solid axle so much that it unnerved me so much that I couldn't take it anymore) so I got something that has IRS. I don't know if you care about ride quality as much as me, but if you do, Bilstein is regarded pretty well in this category when they are paired with stock springs. Food for thought...
Old 01-24-2017, 11:32 PM
Teching In

ok think im going to go with..... Handling Package 2.5: Koni STR.T + Strano Springs from strano performance parts.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rayrayb
ok think im going to go with..... Handling Package 2.5: Koni STR.T + Strano Springs from strano performance parts.
Good choice! You'll be much happier with how the car handles after that!
Old 01-25-2017, 02:02 PM
TECH Veteran

One thing to keep in mind, is that for the most part, none of us know each other personally, therefore we're not familiar with each individual's expertise level or tool inventory. Yes, I'm 64 years of age, and have been "shade tree wrenching" since I was 16. I don't know everything, but I do have a lot of experience,andt when dispensing advice, I try not to assume that everyone else is as experienced as I am....
Old 01-25-2017, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
One thing to keep in mind, is that for the most part, none of us know each other personally, therefore we're not familiar with each individual's expertise level or tool inventory. Yes, I'm 64 years of age, and have been "shade tree wrenching" since I was 16. I don't know everything, but I do have a lot of experience,andt when dispensing advice, I try not to assume that everyone else is as experienced as I am....
Even without knowing anyone personally I stand by saying anyone capable of pulling the shock assembly out of our cars is capable of using spring compressors. I wasn't calling out anyone's skill level, simply stating that it's not any harder than the work OP was already planning to do. I even told them where to rent the compressors.

Last edited by blackandgold; 01-25-2017 at 03:45 PM. Reason: I swear I passed an english class once.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Getting the springs off of an old shock has to be the worst job I can think of. They are always rusted on and need to be cut off. For $122 each on a DD I would try them. I have the koni on now and they are a Good shock. I have always used Monroe in the past and still like them for their smooth ride, they are not a favorite here with race car minds.

OP show us a picture of the front shock when you get them off and tell us how easy it was to do the job.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:28 AM
Teching In

As I said in a previous post I have decided to go with the Koni shocks. Sorry I will not be trying the Gabriel's.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
Getting the springs off of an old shock has to be the worst job I can think of. They are always rusted on and need to be cut off. For $122 each on a DD I would try them. I have the koni on now and they are a Good shock. I have always used Monroe in the past and still like them for their smooth ride, they are not a favorite here with race car minds.

OP show us a picture of the front shock when you get them off and tell us how easy it was to do the job.
Wanting an actually good functioning shock for a performance car =/= a race car mind. It would be totally different if this was a forum for 1990s buick lesabres, but its a forum for 350hp muscle cars and sports cars/coupes, people probably use them for more than just getting groceries...
This is like saying that if you buy an aftermarket exhaust you have a race car mind set and the only acceptable thing is to waste money on a new factory exhaust.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default good choice

Originally Posted by rayrayb
As I said in a previous post I have decided to go with the Koni shocks. Sorry I will not be trying the Gabriel's.
I installed the koni/strano setup two years ago and have been very happy with the result. Your car will now be lower too.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1121

If you buy new mounts and isolators you don't even have to monkey with old rust junk if you get lowering springs. Why would you put old rusty parts back on your car anyways?
Old 01-30-2017, 12:29 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I will second/third the opinion of upgrading to a Koni STR.T or Bilstein as a good option for a good riding and performing shock. Many people are "satisfied" with cheap replacement shocks, but don't realize the difference or value in a good one until they switch to a higher quality shock. It is not just a performance mod, but the overall feel and ride of the car is greatly improved, even with a stock spring. I always recommend my customers to order new strut mount isolators when replacing shocks or springs since they always tend to rust where the stud comes through. Plus they are cheap to replace while you are there.

I believe you will be happy with the decision you made and will feel a dramatic improvement in ride quality and overall feedback from the car

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!

Quick Reply: Gabriel ReadyMount