Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Alignment issues possibly

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment issues possibly

So I just got my car back together after being down for almost 5yrs. While it was down I rebuilt the whole front suspension which consists of umi adjustable lower control arms and upper arms. I forget which brand lowering springs kyb adjustable shocks stock sway bars. Car handles great a bit more clunky buy to be expected with the lower control arms.

Here is/was my issue closest place to me since I live in the middle of nowhere now was a Ford dealer with a good service reputation. So I made a appointment with them and got it aligned. I told them to align just like factory as it still uses the factory adjustment bolts and what not, they said no problem. 6hrs later they say it's done hand me my keys I pay and leave. I drove it home noticing some popping noises coming from the suspension, I figured everything might be settling in still as I had only 100 or so mIles on the car since I got it back running. I get hone and the next morning I take it to pickup some parts about 40 miles away. Well I get there noproblem, when I go to leave backing out of the guys driveway loud pop from the front end and my steeing wheel is sitting 90 degrees to the left to go straight. I stop take a peak under the front end all the bolts and nuts are still in place I drive it home. On the way home I call the dealer they say that they don't really warranty alignments and would not be able to get it on the rack til the next day. By the time I get on the freeway it's starting to shake pretty bad and pull extremely hard to the left, I make it home and immediately jack it up take off the front wheels and check the bolts to see if they are tight.

Driverside lower bolts the horizontal one was 20ftlbs the vertical one was 30ftlbs. I jumped to the passenger's side and horizontal one was 65ftlbs and the vertical was 40ftlbs. I was very annoyed. I ended up with a refund and took it to ntb and got a 1 yr alignment. I also asked them to mark the bolts where they are tightened so if it gives me a issue I can figure it out.

So my question is could the bolts vibrate loose? I have never heard of them vibrating loose before.

The Ford dealer said that the bolts were tight when I left and it was my fault that the alignment was out. I asked them what they tightened the bolts to, they said they do not have the torque specs. They then mentioned that since it has poor quality parts that it's my issue. Also that their senior master technician never makes mistakes.

I've rebuilt many suspension components over the years and never had one loose an alignment so quick. Ntb felt the same way I did and that the bolts were not tightened enough and that it should be good to go with no issues unless I hit something. I am not bashing any of the components just wanting some advice on what could be the cause and they best course of action to keep it straight. So far almost 50 miles and zero issues with the 2nd alignment.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Those torque numbers are way low. The lower bolts are supposed to be like 80ft-lbs if I remember correctly. If torqued correctly they wouldn't vibrate loose, but at 20ft-lbs I have no idea what would happen.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blackandgold
Those torque numbers are way low. The lower bolts are supposed to be like 80ft-lbs if I remember correctly. If torqued correctly they wouldn't vibrate loose, but at 20ft-lbs I have no idea what would happen.
Yea like 71 and 84 from what I found.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Same thing happened to me once and it was because the control arm wasn't torqued down properly. Too bad that Ford shop didn't have a little humility and fix their mistake. The horizontal bushing is 74 ft/lbs while the vertical is 85 ft/lbs, pretty much what Crashz28 said.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
Same thing happened to me once and it was because the control arm wasn't torqued down properly. Too bad that Ford shop didn't have a little humility and fix their mistake. The horizontal bushing is 74 ft/lbs while the vertical is 85 ft/lbs, pretty much what Crashz28 said.

Yea it took quite a bit of work to get them to refund me the money they just kept insulting me and my car just sad. I have zero issues owning up to a mistake. I rarely let anyone touch my vehicles for this exact reason. Thanks for the exact torque specs!
Old 02-10-2017, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Crashz28
Yea it took quite a bit of work to get them to refund me the money they just kept insulting me and my car just sad. I have zero issues owning up to a mistake. I rarely let anyone touch my vehicles for this exact reason. Thanks for the exact torque specs!
Same here. If I do the work, I know it's going to be done right.

Quick Reply: Alignment issues possibly