Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

New Item: Strano Performance Parts Master Cylinder Brace for all 93-02 cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sucks for us Hotchikis STB guys, theres literally what 3 different stb's that go on these cars: a tubular style, Hotchikis, and 3-point style that probably nobody has so basically tubular and hotchikis really. Thats a big oversight imo, i mean think theres lots of guys running them and your missing out on all that money. Do it once and do it right. Well if i ever get rid of mine ill buy one.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I see you have stainless lines. Thoughts on this vs. those in terms of improvement in feel? I think the brace is by far more noticeable assuming the car with rubber lines had decent fluid in it to start with.
I'd say the brace made much more of an improvement in brake feel than stainless lines. This was night and day versus doing the lines which was an improvement but not a world of difference.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Snake_Skinner
Sucks for us Hotchikis STB guys, theres literally what 3 different stb's that go on these cars: a tubular style, Hotchikis, and 3-point style that probably nobody has so basically tubular and hotchikis really. Thats a big oversight imo, i mean think theres lots of guys running them and your missing out on all that money. Do it once and do it right. Well if i ever get rid of mine ill buy one.
This is a common issue when building parts. You just can't realistically make something that fits everything. And why Hotchkis made that bar to bolt on that way (more complicated, more parts, more cost) is kind of beyond me. In my experience far fewer folks have the tubular type and the Hotchkis type and I have to consider that.

Now, I looked at redoing the mount to accommodate, but frankly their bracket takes up a lot of room and it just isn't in the cards.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-28-2017, 11:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
I'd say the brace made much more of an improvement in brake feel than stainless lines. This was night and day versus doing the lines which was an improvement but not a world of difference.
That is what I thought and what others are reporting as well. Particularly the night and day difference.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-28-2017, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like I was right back in October in your "Oops I" thread. Sigh, something else to add to my never ending list of things to buy. Thanks a lot. Also for those that might be questioning it master cylinder braces have been around for cars like the Miata for ages now and have been proven successful, honestly I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to come out with one for the F-body but I'm glad they did.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:03 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I drove my car now since adding the brace, and the difference was night and day. I have 4-piston brembos from a 5th gen camaro on my car, and the brake pedal actually surprised me the first time I jumped on the brakes.

Call me crazy, but I think the clutch pedal got firmer at the top of the travel as well. It would make sense that if the brace is supporting the master cylinder, it's bracing the firewall as well, so maybe it did help a little bit with the clutch pedal as well.

As far as the Hotchkis bar, haven't we already determined that STB's are really just appearance items?
Old 03-01-2017, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"haven't we already determined that STB's are really just appearance items?"

After 16 years on this site and real world experience, yes.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My brace was suppose to be here yesterday but got bumped until today. My brother was over the other day so just for s & g's we took turns stomping on the brake pedal. Mine was nowhere near the movement that was shown in the earlier video. It maybe moved up 1/4" and at the most 1/2". Currious to see how it will feel as any movement to me would seem like a bad thing for brake feel.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Boxxx
Looks like I was right back in October in your "Oops I" thread. Sigh, something else to add to my never ending list of things to buy. Thanks a lot. Also for those that might be questioning it master cylinder braces have been around for cars like the Miata for ages now and have been proven successful, honestly I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to come out with one for the F-body but I'm glad they did.
Been on the radar for a while, but not having a car I kind of forgot how much the flex was, and also didn't have a car to fit things on either. Having gotten the SS, it confirmed or reminded me of my recollection, and allowed me to have control over the design and fit on my own car.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chrisingermany
My brace was suppose to be here yesterday but got bumped until today. My brother was over the other day so just for s & g's we took turns stomping on the brake pedal. Mine was nowhere near the movement that was shown in the earlier video. It maybe moved up 1/4" and at the most 1/2". Currious to see how it will feel as any movement to me would seem like a bad thing for brake feel.
I think you'll find at least the pedal to be firmer and move 1/4" to 1/2" less than it does now.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Viper
"haven't we already determined that STB's are really just appearance items?"

After 16 years on this site and real world experience, yes.
Well considering they're shock towers and not strut towers, yes tower bars are pretty much entirely useless on fourth gens. MCB is a monumentally better buy for the money.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I would agree the Brake brace is certainly a more tangible improvement. However there is some feel that comes from a STB. The car isn't a piece of billet and the older they get the structure isn't becoming any stiffer.

I also agree that the car having shocks and not struts makes the STB's less effective in comparison than on say a 3rd gen, or any strut car where a lot more load it put through the tower.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Just finished the install.
I was happy that the extra plate was provided as it now allows my STB to clear the fast 102mm intake.

Name:  20170301_160626.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  305.8 KB

Name:  20170301_160637.jpg
Views: 1502
Size:  265.4 KB

Name:  20170301_163348.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  234.1 KB
Old 03-01-2017, 06:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Well now there's a positive.

Let us know how the brakes feel!

Old 03-01-2017, 10:23 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

How about killing 2 birds with one stone and designing a STB with the brake brace built into it. Maybe allowing for a less bolt together design. Just a thought.

I think the brace is a great idea, it just seems overly bulky for what it's doing imo. I know I know. Function> looks, but both are important on my car.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scj
How about killing 2 birds with one stone and designing a STB with the brake brace built into it. Maybe allowing for a less bolt together design. Just a thought.

I think the brace is a great idea, it just seems overly bulky for what it's doing imo. I know I know. Function> looks, but both are important on my car.
x2

seems like it would be easy to have UMI integrate the brake brace onto the STB

a company by the name of "CARBING" makes their STB with an integrated brake brace for import cars
Old 03-02-2017, 07:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The brace and 102 above looks awesome! Nice work and good to know.

As far as the effectiveness of a STB... I actually believe they are more beneficial than many of us think. Are you going to install it and say 'Wow what a difference!' no, but can it protect and reinforce the car, I believe so.

What brings me to this theory is a few cars we have had to jack the car up by the center of the k-member to let the suspension unload and relax the towers to get the brace on. I actually think Sam's old car might have been like this too?

It could be factory tolerances or it could be stress. Just a thought.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by scj

I think the brace looks awesome the way it is. I guess if you were planning on buying a STB and the addition of the brake brace might be an added bonus, but I like the big stout look this brace has.

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
The brace and 102 above looks awesome! Nice work and good to know.

As far as the effectiveness of a STB... I actually believe they are more beneficial than many of us think. Are you going to install it and say 'Wow what a difference!' no, but can it protect and reinforce the car, I believe so.

What brings me to this theory is a few cars we have had to jack the car up by the center of the k-member to let the suspension unload and relax the towers to get the brace on. I actually think Sam's old car might have been like this too?

It could be factory tolerances or it could be stress. Just a thought.
Thanks! I was chatting with someone from UMI the other day and was about to just buy some plates to go under the STB to clear the intake. This piece did just what the plates would have done, so it was a added bonus.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by scj

Because is makes no sense when this is modular. A STB with a MC brace means you have to now carry 3 parts instead of 2. And exactly what would be different?

Looks are subjective to start with. You don't like the look of it, ok. As for being bulky, well the idea is that it needs to be strong. But that said, it fits in a 6"x6"x6" box with room to spare when I ship them. It isn't huge.

And again, nobody is telling you to not run the STB. And if you willing to change to some sort of intergrated STB/MC brace, they why not just change STB to run the MC brace *if* you have a STB that won't work like Hotchkis.

The logic seems to be make exactly what you want. And while I get that, it's not that simple when you run a business and have to make a case for product to exist.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Got mine put on today, haven't had a chance to try it out yet but it was easy peasy to install.

Quick Reply: New Item: Strano Performance Parts Master Cylinder Brace for all 93-02 cars