Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

98 camaro , benefits of upper and lower adj A-arms

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 camaro , benefits of upper and lower adj A-arms

like the title states what are some advantages to the bmr and umi a arms? I'm skeptical as my turbo kit fits pretty tight with the stock ones and I'd be very upset to spend a grand on something that would force me to alter my down pipe
Old 02-28-2017, 09:57 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The lower a-arms will give you the most benefit as far as adjustability and comfort in a street driven car. Upper adjustable arms allow for very aggressive camber and caster, as well as allowing you to make changes to track width. However the trade off is that the uppers tend to induce a fair amount of NVH into the car. Most cars that see street time and are not competitively raced will not see benefit from the adjustable uppers. The tubular non-adjustable arms are a good compromise as they offer less noise, but have some geometry correction built in

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 02-28-2017, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis5374
like the title states what are some advantages to the bmr and umi a arms? I'm skeptical as my turbo kit fits pretty tight with the stock ones and I'd be very upset to spend a grand on something that would force me to alter my down pipe

It really depends on what you are doing with the car and we tell all our customers this when they call to purchase our suspension items. There is a point if it is just a fun street car to keep the stock items and just replace the bushings and ball joints, if you are ready to get more serious and need adjustable suspension that has no rubber or poly joints then its time to go to tubular items. Rubber/poly tends to bind where heim joints will not.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis5374
Where is the turbo piping tight at? I would be curious to see this.

On a-arms, when the mounting points aren't changed the benefits can be minimal. We have been revamping our line of a-arms to give the most possible benefits we can get. Our newest boxed lower a-arms and adjustable upper a-arms offer increased caster by moving both the upper and lower ball joints to tilt the spindle. Doing it together keeps the spindle centered as well.

I recommend checking out our 2309 and 2310 a-arms, you can get a nice 6-7 degrees of positive caster and the 2310 upper has the most clearance of any a-arm design out there. In clearance I am referring to other designs hitting the inner fenders on lowered cars.

Let us know if you have any questions we can help with.
Old 02-28-2017, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Perks: more camber and caster adjustability

Non-Perks: increased NVH going from factory rubber bushings to rod ends or roto-joints and there have been a few cases online of tubular lower control arms cracking and breaking.

I wouldn't run an aftermarket upper aside from UMI's new part, lots of the tubular uppers can contact the body when articulating. I'm currently running UMI boxed lowers and stock uppers. Do you plan on running more than 2 degrees of camber?
Old 03-01-2017, 07:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a link to the new uppers blackandgold is speaking of.

http://umiperformance.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=172

These arm have the clearance and travel needed when you lower your stance to keep from contacting the body

If anybody needs any info or pricing please feel to call me here at the shop.

Craig

Quick Reply: 98 camaro , benefits of upper and lower adj A-arms