Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension question

hello guys, im about to upgrade my suspension, and ive been looking around. What do ya'll think are the best shocks and springs to go with if i only want to lower my car 1in. Its my daily driver,and i would like to take it to the motor speedway(autocross) every once in awhile. I have 315's in the back so ill take care of the rubbing if it occurs. Only suspension mods i have are ADJ lower control arms, and ADJ panhard bar. My y-pipe hangs down pretty low thats why i only want to go 1in. thanks.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

oh i forgot to tell ya'll its a 2002 camaro Z28
Old 06-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Launching!

BMR lowering springs and revalved Bilsteins
Old 06-26-2004, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SLP eibachs. Eibach makes springs "for a living", BMR makes lots of crap. (and crap is proving to be the correct word).
Old 06-26-2004, 12:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by trackbird
SLP eibachs. Eibach makes springs "for a living", BMR makes lots of crap. (and crap is proving to be the correct word).
I will defer to your greater experience, my master
What is the drop on the SLP eibachs, anyways? I only mentioned BMR springs because I thought they were the only ones out there with about an inch drop, with everything else being 1.3+

I think we're agreed on the 'stellar quality' of most things BMR...
Old 06-26-2004, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

John,

You didn't give a "wrong answer", I was just suggesting my prefered option (and my dislike of BMR, one of their K-members just broke on a car....add that to the list of broken parts).

The SLP Eibachs are listed at a 1" drop. The BMR are the only other springs I can think of that don't drop "too far", but BMR has had quality issues with many different parts and I try not to recomend any of their stuff......ever.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

My SLP Eibachs dropped the rear an inch, and the front half an inch -after- I cut two thirds of a coil off of the fronts. Please don't crucify me for doing that guys, I saw so many pictures of cars on SLP Eibachs with an inch drop in the rear and the front at factory height that I had to do it.

FWIW, no complaints about the cars ride. The money I've spent on suspension stuff (SFC's, SLP level 1 kit, etc) has been the best money I've spent on the car.
Old 06-26-2004, 10:58 AM
Launching!

BMR, one of their K-members just broke on a car....add that to the list of broken parts
Yikes that's a new one! I've seen a few threads about K-members along the lines of "what do you guys think...how will it stand up" so I guess they've got an answer. Hope the car in question didn't get wrecked when the breakage happened.

Does this mean you're ditching your STB just to be on the safe side??
Old 06-26-2004, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by John95Z28
Does this mean you're ditching your STB just to be on the safe side??

Nah...I can't see how it could fail, and if it did, it is not a "critical part". Meaning, the car will run without one. A K-member, now that's a different story.....
Old 06-28-2004, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

I went from SLP Eibachs to the Eibach pro-kit and it dropped around a 1/2" in the front, maybe an inch for the rear. It used to have that damn 4x4 gap with the SLP Eibachs and SLP Bilsteins on the front. Both of which I believe are softer than either the pro-kit or the stock HD Bilstiens

The car handle way better with the pro-kit, and the revalved Bilsteins are great too.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:46 PM
STF Veteran

My BMR's seem to be fine. What are you referring to as crap?
Old 06-28-2004, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
My BMR's seem to be fine. What are you referring to as crap?
If you do a search you'll see LOTS of issues with various BMR products - breakages, parts bending, coming un-welded, that sort of thing. True, they have their fans, and many people have bought their stuff and are happy with the purchase (as you seem to be) but Trackbird and other guys who's opinion I respect wouldn't touch their stuff with a 10 foot pole. Well, except for that STB; I guess he likes living dangerously

If you're happy with your BMR stuff, that's great man I'm happy for you, but for my own planned mod list it went from reading like the BMR catalog down to 'non-BMR only' as I listened and read about other's experiences.

Quick Reply: Suspension question