Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best Budget Suspension Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 05:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Best Budget Suspension Upgrades?

Hey all,

Got my car out of storage yesterday, having brand new company cars to drive really makes me see how spongy and soft this thing feels.

Don't want to break the bank, but what should be some brands/parts I consider? Right now its got stock suspension with cheapy lowering springs.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Best Budget Suspension Upgrades?-img_3241.jpeg  
Old 04-03-2017, 06:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the amount of research I have done, first thing people are going to ask you is, "what's your budget?" On a serious note, though, many people will say Konis w/ Strano, BMR, or UMI springs. If Konis are not in your budget, they will say Bilsteins normally. Many people will say sway bars, a few people will say LCAs and relocation brackets or a panhard bar, and a few more will say torque arm, but the other suspension mods should come first. The two controversial things that no one seems to agree on are the STB and the subframe connectors. Neither of those mods seem to have much of an advantage. Instead of buying a panhard bar, I'm saving up for a watts link because it seems to be better, just more expensive. You will also get asked what you intend on using the car for. If you find that Konis are in the budget, I've got some new in box double adjustable fronts (discontinued part) for sale. Hope this helps!
Old 04-03-2017, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start with new bushings and ball joints. Stock replacement rubber. I would then move on to a shock and spring combo. The factory shocks suck. Shocks depend on your budget. Affordable are Bilsteins or if you want to go all out, Konis.

Then its your choice from there as far as sway bars and etc....

Doing simple bushings, ball joints and a good shock/spring swap will change the car for the better for right around $1,200. (Dependant on shocks)
Old 04-03-2017, 07:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Shocks. Shocks, shocks, more shocks.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-04-2017, 10:27 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Just get one of this guy's kits.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
He should only need 4 shocks though right?
Old 04-05-2017, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by justin455
Just get one of this guy's kits.
That's what I just did on the exact same car.

Old 04-06-2017, 11:00 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

A good "starter kit" that I set many people up with to get the most noticeable difference and still keeping the budget happy is the Koni Str.T shocks and our springs with a panhard bar. This will give the car a good stance while making it smoother and more stable. Ride quality is improved, the soft sloppy feel is firmed up, corner confidence is greatly increased. I run this same combo on my personal daily driver and I am very happy with it. For about $600, you can get a really solid package that will fit your needs and last you a long time

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 04-07-2017, 01:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

The question is a leading one. "Budget" indicates some level of investment they don't want to go beyond. What that is, I have no idea. But I do know more parts makes that tally go up.

As for "Best". That's subjective. Depends on what you are trying to do. How you use the car, where you drive it, what your budget is, etc.

I often find when folks say things like "budget and bang for the buck" they really just mean "cheapest". Trouble is that does against the best part.

Look, I make springs and bars and sell lots of other parts same as other vendors here. Fact of the matter is, the shocks are the worst part of the car starting off, period. That's where you need to focus your budget first, if you have more funds than it take to get appropriate shocks (note I said appropriate, not any shocks), THEN we can add other parts in.

IMHO

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Best Budget Suspension Upgrades?