Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano bars powder coated

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 03:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strano bars powder coated

A few years back I bought a ton of UMI/Strano/Koni stuff and everything was the color red except the sway bars. I got the hollow Strano sway bars and the rear is the adjustable version. I recently started working on the car again and installing the goods but I never liked that the sways were only offered in black. So tonight they got powder coated red. I'm excited, and I just wanted to share

Name:  20170327_232635_zpsktcah5td.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  372.8 KB
Old 03-28-2017, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks good! It's always good to have a powder coat shop in your back pocket.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha, i tend to use their services all the time.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks good. I need to do mine here soon. The coating on my Strano bars started flaking off within a year. I fortunately have my own powdercoat setup and just got a bigger oven so I should pull mine off soon. Did you or the powdercoat company remove the black coating?
Old 03-30-2017, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

The sways were sanded down before powder coating. Some areas the paint came off easy. Other sections it was adhered better and wasn't coming off without getting very agressive. So there was some of the factory paint still on the sways before it was coated red. The red coating was 3 separate layers and is pretty tough stuff that we use all the time at the shop. Should hold up nicely. Well, hopefully anyways. If I see it chipping more than any of the other suspension parts under the car I can get them sandblasted in 5 min and powdered again right after. Shouldn't have an issue based off my past experiences, I believe.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

These bars were never installed prior to me coating them red btw. If I was in your shoes (refinishing used bars) I would probably remove all the old paint and any rust that may be there.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I use some stuff called aircraft remover that you can get at AutoZone or somewhere like that. It is some nasty stuff but it gets powdercoat (And any other paint I would imagine) off real quick.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Just going to point out a few things here.

If you coat them too much, the bushings don't fit correctly. So don't go nuts on the thickness. As for the bars getting chipped and stuff, yes.. it happens. As the bars are under the car sitting crossways, and hanging down. They get blasted with sand and debris more than any other thing under the car.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-30-2017, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Just going to point out a few things here.

If you coat them too much, the bushings don't fit correctly. So don't go nuts on the thickness. As for the bars getting chipped and stuff, yes.. it happens. As the bars are under the car sitting crossways, and hanging down. They get blasted with sand and debris more than any other thing under the car.
I was concerned about the bushings at first, but test fitting went 100% as intended.

And I fully understand paint chips are going to happen of I drive it ever

Quick Reply: Strano bars powder coated