Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Can C5 Rear Rotors Bolt on to a F-Body?

Old 06-29-2004, 09:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can C5 Rear Rotors Bolt on to a F-Body?

I am in the middle of a C5 Rotor/C5 Caliper/Earl SS Brake Line Change. The problem I am having is putting the rear rotors on. I got the rotors off a very low mile c5(less than 600 miles) along with the calipers. The F-Body Basket Bracket will not fit over the new C5 rotors in the back, but they do line up with the Calipers. I stand the C5 rotors up with the F-Body rotors and they have a smaller backspacing. I haven't started on the front, and before I get too far, do I have to buy new rotors, or is there something I am missing?
Old 06-30-2004, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've heard it done before, although the rear rotors of the Cmaro have the parking brake in the "hat" like a baby drum, where as the Vete (as far as I know) doesn't. Plus the rear brakes on a Vette are the same size too . . .

To do the fronts a caliper relocation bracket is needed.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:58 AM
Launching!

I don't think it is going to work, they have different hub designs and they corvette rotors do not sit back far enough to allow the caliper bracket to be mounted. I guess if you going to upgrade to C5 brakes you are not going to need the C5 Rears (if buying all the parts as I did). Has anyone mounted the Corvette rears onto a F-Body sucessfully?
Old 06-30-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are tehy the same diameter? If so (and I think they are), what is the point of changing them? Same size, similar weight will mean the "same braking ability".
Old 06-30-2004, 10:18 AM
Launching!

The rear are the same diameter, If you seen what my Rear Rotors looked like, you would understand. I also bought everything together from one person. With the rear calipers the pistons were rusted. It was getting to a point when I hit my brake, I wasn't stopping. I am just going to pick up some Stock F-Body Rear Rotors this afternoon and put it all back together.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's the best idea. Good luck!
Old 07-01-2004, 09:40 PM
Teching In

You can put the C5 rotor on your rear hub. However, as previously described you will have to give up your parking brake. The C5 rotor on the rear does not give you any added performance, except maybe for a small decrease in unsprung weight, secondary to a loss of the "drum" area for the parking brake.
Highly recommended to run the F-Body rear rotor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can C5 Rear Rotors Bolt on to a F-Body?