Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Confusion in the kinds of stock suspensions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Confusion in the kinds of stock suspensions

I know how, and have taken every suspension component on and off of 3rd and 4th gen F-bodies. I have never really looked into all the different setups in the stock suspensions. I would like to know how to tell if I have the decarbon or bilstein shocks(or whatever??), and what springs. So if someone knows how to tell that would be great. I also would like to know what shocks and springs were avaliable in regular Z28's 93-02. Thanks.

PS. My car rides considerably stiffer than my friends 95 Z28. Not much of a lean on cornering either.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

deCarbon's are orange and both Koni and Bilstein are yellow. If you're wondering about the SLP Bilstein from the factory, if your car came with it, it will be on a sticker on your passenger door.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

The are orange. Oh well. Thanks anyway.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

plus the decarbons say......decarbon lol
Old 07-08-2004, 11:51 AM
TECH Regular

I need to pay more attention LOL

Are the DeCarbons any good? Why does my car ride stiffer than a regular Z? I guess mine has stiffer springs.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

decarbons are ok i guess, as for being stiffer....maybe its got a different suspension option?
Old 07-08-2004, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

If he has deCarbon shocks, he doesn't have a different option. The shocks are about the worst part of an F-body's stock suspension.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

i disagree, The decarbon shocks do exactly what they are intended to do. to dampen the springs. The valving may be of different specs than what you want them to do. I have won championships autocrossing with my stock DeCarbon shocks. The stock DeCarbon valving is excellent for what they are designed to do. Just because they are stock and "soft" doesnt mean they are bad. i have never had a DeCarbon shock fail yet. A shock has no affect on a skid pad, where G's are measured. All a shock doees is control the speed of force of the spring. if you are in a corner, the spring pushes on the road, the shock stops the bounce of the tire that occurs after hitting a bump. will different shocks help handling, yes, will shocks help the skid pad, no. shocks need to be desighned to work with different valving to work with different spring rates and different unsprung wieghts. how ever youu driving style is, you need to figure out what you think is wrong with your stock valving and what is right with your shock valving. I too am looking at replacing my stock Decarbon shocks with different shocks. my new shocks need to be able to control heavier spring rates because most lowering springs add more spring rate to compensate for the lowering of the car.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:17 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z28viperkiller
i disagree...
I think you'll find yourself in the minority. Winning f-stock in a small region where there are 3-4 cars in your class at a given event is not the same as running at the divisional or national tour levels, where I assure you, deCarbons aren't going to be on the winning cars. As a side note, check out www.frrax.com for more f-body autocross and racing discussions.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:14 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys. I guess I want to lower this thing soon anyway.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:50 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the link absolut_speed! ive been looking for info about suspension setups.

Quick Reply: Confusion in the kinds of stock suspensions