Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

high speed brake pulsing

Old 07-07-2004, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high speed brake pulsing

Couldn't find any remedies with the search so here it goes...

I get a vibration in the front end of the car if I'm at a high speed (~70 mph) and put the brakes on medium effort. The pulsing goes away at high effort braking, and isn't noticeable at lower speeds (<40 mph) either. Any clues as to what's going on? I suspect it might not be warped rotors since the pulsing goes away when I brake harder.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe
Old 07-07-2004, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

The rotors must be slightly warped. You may be going too slow at times to feel it but at higher speeds, the slight warpness will be felt.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

next time listen when you slow down and arent goin fast u shoudl be able to hear or feel a little bit. just push the brake really lightly. or u might have the same problem i do and have a pad thats wearing wrong
Old 07-08-2004, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

WS6FirebirdTA00, how did you know you have a pad wearing wrong? My car does not pull to either side when braking, and I really can't feel anything at low speeds - then again the pedal feel is not that great either and it might just be really light pulsing. The odd thing is, hard braking makes it go away.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hard braking can make warped rotors feel fine. Then when they get really warped, they pulse under hard braking too.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah ttopjohn is right if they arent warped too bad they could do that too. i could tell by the scaring on the rotor that my pads were bad, i had a bad slider at one time and the pad wore kinda slanted
Old 07-19-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks you have the exact symptoms as myself. I was told my front brake rotors are slightly warped and that there is a TSB so I could get them turned at the Pontiac dealership for free. Will be giving them a call this week.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Majority of the time these are symptoms of warped front rotors - maybe slight as mentioned above, but warped nonetheless. IMO, you're better off skipping the turning of the rotors since that's really just a temporary fix - it'll be back sooner than you would expect since now you'll have even less rotor material working for you. You're best bet is to pick up a good set of stock replacement rotors. Most of us have been through this with these cars at one point or another. Additionally, cryo treating new rotors can also help prevent them from warping in addition to prolonging their lifespan.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wonder if they'd give me new rotors instead of turning them. Doubt it. I might just eat the cost and replace them myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: high speed brake pulsing