Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Diagonal bar above panhard rod???

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Diagonal bar above panhard rod???

Just wanted to double check, my slp lm exhaust i modified a little to get my qtp y pipe to pull up a little, anyways, now the pipe that goes over the axle is hitting this stamped metal bar that is on a diagonal right above the panhard bar. I was told it does nothing and that i can remove it for the clearance i need to stop the banging. Everyone else think its ok to remove this bar? Dont even know what its called so if no one knows what i'm talkin about i can post pics tonight when i get home. It standds out pretty good though, its right above my panhard bar, which now is a hotchkis bar if it makes a difference. All thoughts are welcome. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is an upper panhard rod. It is actually a support for the PHB. It does "something" because I actually bent one on my 3rd gen. It is there to support the mount for the lower PHB. Many guys will tell you to remove it, but you do run the risk of breaking the mount for the PHB that it supports. Also, if GM could have saved the time and energy that they took to design, build, and install that bar, don't you think they would have?

I'd keep it.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try taking a corner without your PHR installed - that's what it'll feel like when you break the PHR mount due to having removed the support bracket. Yes, there are people who have removed it. There are people who do all kinds of things. This piece (unlike the tunnel brace e.g.) has a VERY clearcut purpose and IMO you'd be sacrificing your safety driving on the street without it. Remove it at your own risk.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys, i'm gonna stick w/ keeping it on then. I've heard sticking a piece of coolant hose in between the pipe and whatever its banging on will help. I guess thats my best bet??
Old 07-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS
Thanks guys, i'm gonna stick w/ keeping it on then. I've heard sticking a piece of coolant hose in between the pipe and whatever its banging on will help. I guess thats my best bet??

If your exhaust its what banging against it, the hose will melt and smell bad in the process.

You can try it anyway and see how much of a problem it is.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

You can get hose that doesnt melt. Someone did it with their banging y-pipe. Sounds like a good idea to me, as long and he gets the right type.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99CamaroSS
Thanks guys, i'm gonna stick w/ keeping it on then.
I hesitate to suggest this, because of the current BMR broken K-member thread and other bad reports, BUT you might like to know that BMR makes an angled upper panhard rod to clear duals. I don't know if it's shape would help solve your clearance / banging issue, but now you know about it. Shop at your own risk!
Old 07-09-2004, 05:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
You can get hose that doesnt melt. Someone did it with their banging y-pipe. Sounds like a good idea to me, as long and he gets the right type.
Yea, i thought that it wouldnt get too hot b/c its almost near my exhaust tips and coolant hoses hold coolant that goes up to what temp 200 unless u put in a 180 thermostat? Does the back end of our exhuast really get to 200 degrees? I too heard about he coolant hose to solve the banging y pipe problem, thats where i got the idea from. If anyone knows more about this please let me know. Thanks

Quick Reply: Diagonal bar above panhard rod???