Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need some HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some HELP!

Ok, I'm not sure if this should be here or handling etc. But I brought my 99 SS into the dealer yesterday to get alignment and fluids etc to be done. My alignment was thrown off when someone cut me off, my car spun out and I have waited to get it done for around a week or so, I had noticed the front left tire [Z rated Yoko's] the inside tred was gone and the outside tred on the right tire was fading fast [Friends told me not to, shows what they know].

So I bring it down there and later get a call saying that I need a new set of front tires, a steering rack, and a power steering hose replaced on my car. They wanted to charge me $1,400 for just the steering rack and power steering hose. They also wanted to charge me $326 on one tire, Goodyear brand. I declined and drove my car home, I need help now.

Where can I find how much the power steering hose and steering rack cost and what should I do tire wise? Should I just get radials for the back and bump the back tires to the front? Would this be reconmended?
Old 07-22-2004, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Posting first on my own thread, no one knows the answer to my question? Should I move this thread?
Old 07-22-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did they say why it needed a rack and hose? Was the hose damaged? Did the rack get damaged? I'd have it checked out somewhere else before paying them for that work. That just seems a little strange and convienient.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

The hose is leaking, which I did check and is true. As for the rack, I'm not sure. Do you know of any place I myself could purchase those parts?
Old 07-23-2004, 05:54 PM
Launching!

go to napa, autozone, etc
maybe your rack is also leaking. it is pretty common on our car.

it is no big deal to change. just find a lift. you don't want to do it on the ground.

Quick Reply: Need some HELP!