Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks and Springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks and Springs

Hey, I know my car is a V6 but help would be helpful. Its got 86K on it and factory shocks and springs. SLP has this: Shocks/Springs, Front/Rear, 1993-02 Camaro/Firebird V8 T/O (set).They are 85 bucks. They say they ar used for like 5 miles. I want to get something not pricey but still decent as i am trying to sell it. Will these fit and are they are pretty good? Any help is great, thanks.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Come on guys, surely someone knows!!
Old 07-22-2004, 03:18 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes they will fit and serve your purposes well. I see no need to swap out the springs however; that would just be a lot of extra work with no gain. The V8 springs will also make a V6 car sit high in the front.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Cal, thanks alot. Yeah i dont really know too much bout suspension and i was just wondering. I drove it 815 miles the last weekend and noticed how bumpy of a ride it was, especially hitting potholes and bumps and stuff. I figured new shocks and springs would solve it but i wasnt for sure. So, you think if i just get new shocks that will solve the problem, or could there be other things that need replaced? Thanks
Old 07-22-2004, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Good shocks are a good start.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Ok, ill probably go ahead and get the shocks that come off the SS's and install them. Any other ideas or know of any cheap shocks-like i said i am sellign it very shortly and dont want to spend alot- tell me and throw some ideas on the table. Thanks
Old 07-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The shocks will reduce the bounce after you hit the bump, but it's still going to jolt you just as hard when you hit them. There's nothing you can do about that, this is a performance car! Well there is one thing, let some air out of the tires. It won't corner well, but it will take bumps better. Try about 25 psi.

Look for somebody that has takeoff shocks from an upgrade. The stock shocks are really quite whimpy, so most people that race ditch them for something else.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Yeah i did let the air out of the tires, down to 30 psi, they used to be like 35-38 psi. Yeah that is what i thought about doing. SLP has the ones they take of the cars when they receive them and then put on their suspension upgrades on like SS and Firehawks. You can get all 4 for $50 bucks. I did find a site where i can get all 4 KYB Adjustables for $349 bucks. I didnt really want to spend that much but if i buy a V8 i cna always take em back off and put the old ones back on and then put them on the 8. Are the KYB adjustable good shocks, i found them at lmperformance.com.