Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brake install probs

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake install probs

So i just put on my iRotors and hawk hps pads today. Something is amiss. The pedal feels spongy and i don't get noticable stopping power till the pedal is near the floor? I didn't disconnect the brake line from the caliper so i didn't feel the need to bleed the brakes. any ideas?
Old 07-30-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

How is your fluid level?

-Mike
Old 07-30-2004, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

looked a little low but the fact remains is that the brakes performed normal with 41k on them and now that I have new performance parts on the car and somethings isn't working the same.

EDIT: Let me refraise. When the brakes where stock the fluid was like .5 inchs low. When i pushed the brake pistons in to fit them over the new pads the fluid went past the full line (for obvious reasons) but now after i pumped the brakes and drove it around the block a few times the fluid level still hasn't come back down to where it was prior me pushing the pistons in. That mean I have to bleed the lines?

Last edited by Akuma; 07-30-2004 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:49 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Akuma
the fluid level still hasn't come back down to where it was prior me pushing the pistons in. That mean I have to bleed the lines?
Thats not what that means. The pads that you just put on are thicker than the pads you just removed (since the old pads were worn and the new pads are new). The pistons are not protruding out of the calipers as far as they were with the old pads since the new pads are thicker (new). To sum it up, yeah the fluid level is going to be higher after putting on new pads. If the fluid level is lower than the "Full" mark, then add some. If that is the original fuild (since you bought the car), replace it with new fluid.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

Drain the brake fluid out and replace it completely. You will notice a better feeling brake pedal and better brake pedal modulation.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

When you pushed the pistons on the calipers in to accomadate the new pads, did you open the bleeder or just push them in pushing the fluid into the master cylinder reservoir. On cars with ABS you should open the bleeder to push the caliper pistons in. With ABS you have one way solenoids that are used for the braking system and ABS something could have happened to them solenoids.

Mike
Old 07-31-2004, 11:41 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

If you open the bleeder in the caliper to push in the piston, you are intruducing air into the system (and probably losing fluid). At which point you must bleed the system and add fluid.

I have never heard of needing to open the bleeder to push in the caliper piston(s). I just remove the cap on the master cylinder prior to replacing pads and put it back when I'm done.
Old 07-31-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

just bleed the system and you should be ok.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

yeah gunna bleed them on monday thanks for the input guys