Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Fixin to weld in my SFC how thick is the subframe on the car?

Old 08-01-2004, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fixin to weld in my SFC how thick is the subframe on the car?

I have a Miller welder I use everyday in my shop that I am fixing to use to weld in the SFC. I know how thick the SFC are, but what about the car, I don't want to blow a hole in the bottom of the car when I start to weld them up. Anyone know how thick the spot where I will be welding is? The SFC are BMR by the way. Thanks
Old 08-01-2004, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TTT, I would also like to know this.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you use a welder everyday, I'd think you'd be able to do this with no problems. I didn't mean for that to sound negative, just that you get a "feel" for welding. It is not that thick, .030 or so (off the top of my head), depending where you're welding. I used a 175 amp welder, but not at full power and welded mine right on the car with no problems.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've probably heard this already, but I'll mention it anyway - weld in SFC's don't need a full bead (continuous seam?) to do the trick, just stitch them in place and you won't be in danger of warping the sheet metal, putting a hole thru the floor, starting the carpet on fire, or any of those other bad things that people worry about.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:52 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good choice on the Miller MIG, that's what I use also. The thickness varies, but don't worry about blowing a hole through, none of the places you weld to are directly on the other side of the passenger compartment. For the same reason, you don't have to worry about burning the carpet. Obviously the reinforced bracket areas are thicker, and anywhere the sheet metal is stamped in a wide radius it is very thin. If you're close to blowing a hole, just back off the heat range one step. And as mentioned, be sure to stitch the pinch weld area on the sides. BTW, that's is by far the most difficult area to weld to, because you have two thin layers of sheet metal that are spot welded together there, with a layer of paint inbetween. That paint will be popping and spitting at ya!

Search this Thread