Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

G Force

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G Force

Hi guys I was wondering what's the maximum g force that a ws6 or camaro (stock) is capable, also I would like to increase that number just to have a car that can handle like those exotic cars.

How about you guys that race on the track and also drive your car on the street what kind of modification do you guys have in your suspensions? anybody have the numbers (G force)?

Thank you all
Old 08-03-2004, 12:33 AM
Launching!

Car & Driver got 0.84 g testing a 2001 vert, and with thicker f+r anti-roll bars, better shocks, tires, etc you could bring that up above 0.90

Some suspension package SLP used to offer was claimed to produce over 1.0 g, but I'm skeptical you could get that with anything short of a hard-core race suspension setup
Old 08-04-2004, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sway bars, springs, shock, tires. Now just fig out how aggressive are you willing to go with thoes parts, and how much ride quality are you willing to give up.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Regular

Well Look at my sig its does .90 flat. It does push in steady state corners which im going to have to fix. It would be faster if I can get the rear end to step out. Later John
Old 08-09-2004, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sgracida
I would like to increase that number just to have a car that can handle like those exotic cars.
It'll never handle like the exotics you are talking about. They have a full frame, with independent suspension front and rear, and are often times MUCH lighter than an f-body. Not to mention a T/A is 500lbs heavier in the nose than the rear.

You can improve the handling, but I doubt you will get to the point of the exotics unless you put in HUGE rubber, Double diamond subframes, a 10 point cage, stiff springs, larger sway bars, and strip some weight out of the car. But you can try.

Good luck.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike 01WS6
It'll never handle like the exotics you are talking about. They have a full frame, with independent suspension front and rear, and are often times MUCH lighter than an f-body. Not to mention a T/A is 500lbs heavier in the nose than the rear.

You can improve the handling, but I doubt you will get to the point of the exotics unless you put in HUGE rubber, Double diamond subframes, a 10 point cage, stiff springs, larger sway bars, and strip some weight out of the car. But you can try.
Good points, although I'll point out lately the trend with exotics like front engined Ferrari, Mercedes and Aston Martins have been well over 4000lbs in curb weight. So with such fat assed exotic cars on the market our humble F-body stacks up pretty well. All we need is some heavy duty SFC's, engine mods to bring the power up to par, and springs / shocks / roll bars / huge tires. We've still got the live rear axle, but considering how much cheaper it is than a 4000 pound Aston Martin Vanquish it's not a bad tradeoff
Old 08-10-2004, 10:29 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

If you are concerned about the rear axle, you can replace it with an IRS unit. There are some options. There are some places that sell them but I think they will most likely require modifying the rear suspension/body to fit/work properly. You might also want to look into fitting a Mustang Cobra IRS since they were designed to fit into the same place as a solid axle.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There was a 3rd gen Trans Am in Car Craft's real street eliminator a few years back that had a C4 IRS.

But I'm incredibly impressed with how well the solid rear axle can be made to work - with poly torque arm bushing, poly panhard rod bushings, rubber LCA bushings, stock springs with the heater hose mod, and Strano Bilstiens, I have all but elminated the side step over a mid corner bump. It seriously doesn't do it any more - before, you just sorta expected that half step to the side whenever there was a bump in a corner. Now it feels like an IRS car.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:44 PM
Teching In

convertible f-bodies handle like **** so dont compare them, their also almost a second slower than t-tops/hardtops. i've seen as much as .94 g's with just tire changes on 4th gen camaros. btw the best g-machine in the country WAS an f-body. 500 pound heavier in the front? where did u get that from? last time i checked it was a 53/47 weight distribution. your also forgetting that a shitload of weight can be shaved off, particularly of 4th gens. hatch, doors, hood, quarters. with carbon fiber you can shave off a ton of weight. if it can be done on a 37 year old camaro it can be done on a 4th gen.

Quick Reply: G Force