Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR or SLP STB weight?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 03:22 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMR or SLP STB weight?

The basic BMR STB uses exactly the same construction as the SLP counterpart, so they should be the same weight.

Anyone know what that weight is? I'm trying to decide if 30% of that weight is enough to make it worth going with the BMR Chrome Moly version (which according to an architect I asked where work, should be about 70% of the weight of the mild steel version (BMR lists the specs for each)). I'm getting the SLP SFCs, and want to order the STB at the same time. It's often easier to deal with one place. So if the weight is low enough that 30% of it is negligible, I'll get the SLP version.

I'm planning/hoping to order today, and waiting for a response from the company can take quite some time (when you have to rely on email lol )
Old 08-04-2004, 03:59 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

I got lucky and freed up some time to sneak a quick call (I'm EST and can't usually call while at work - which is when they are open. lol) to BMR (SLP is only voice mail at the moment).

6lbs for the mild steel
5lbs for the chrome moly
6lbs for the "extreme" (chrome moly)

My guess was that the "standard" editions are more than enough for the compression and tensile loads placed on them. The guy at BMR said that was the case. Meaning that the extreme must only be a product to cater to those willing to over spend. Which, admittedly, is me much of the time. lol But since the load is compressive or tensile, not torsional, I can't see a case where the standard tube will collapse or stretch.

So now the hard part is - does 1lb over the front wheels make a difference? I would think if it did, it would be bad, but, could it be good (assuming it made a difference in the first place)?
Old 08-04-2004, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HPP
does 1lb over the front wheels make a difference?
You're kidding, right?

You'd never know any difference. If you swapped the K-member and A-arms with lightweight DOM tubing race versions, saving about 40 - 50lbs in the process, you could probably feel that.

If you really want to save only a pound in weight, just wash your car more often to keep the dirt off. Or maybe keep the windshield wiper resevoir under-filled
Old 08-04-2004, 06:50 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

lol I'm kinda new at this, so from my perspective, ya never know.

Yeah, I think I've decided to go with the standard steel version. And to go to SLP.

I want to give props to BMR though. The person I talked to was courtious and helpful. Even friendly. He had the answers to the questions I asked, and never pushed any thing. Obviously the quality of the BMR (from a material standpoint at least) is the same as the SLP because it's the same material in the same dimensions. And, it's even $10 cheaper.

I'd love to go with them, but, as I'm also buying SLP SFCs at the same time, it's often easier just to get as much as possible at the same place at the same time. Plus SLP is within driving distance of me as well.

Now all I need is a place to weld in my SFCs for me. lol
Old 08-04-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John95Z28
You're kidding, right?

You'd never know any difference. If you swapped the K-member and A-arms with lightweight DOM tubing race versions, saving about 40 - 50lbs in the process, you could probably feel that.

If you really want to save only a pound in weight, just wash your car more often to keep the dirt off. Or maybe keep the windshield wiper resevoir under-filled
Hey, I really do that, only enough for a few sprays!
Old 08-04-2004, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HPP
Yeah, I think I've decided to go with the standard steel version. And to go to SLP.
BTW - sorry if I gave you a hard time. Seriously though; I think you'll be happy with your SLP choice. BMR gets high marks for customer service, but you can't go wrong with SLP. Haven't heard a bad word said about their stuff (unlike another three letter company which shall not be named...)

Quick Reply: BMR or SLP STB weight?