Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question about cross drilled and slotted rotors.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 12:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about cross drilled and slotted rotors.

Ok my friends are telling me that their aftermarket cross drilled and slotted rotors give them better stopping power. For some reason that sounds wrong to me. I could see how the rotors would get rid of heat quicker but cross drilled/slotted rotors have less metal for the pad to grip. Which in turn should equal less braking power, or if not less then certainly their would no gain in stopping power. Could someone help clear this up for me and let me know am I right or wrong?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2004, 01:15 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Your right, no real extra stopping over stock... unless they went with a bigger diameter rotor. They can possibly help rid heat better, but I'm sure that only works under hard racing conditions. They are mostly for appearance and sometimes to help reduce some rotating mass.
Old 08-07-2004, 01:39 AM
TECH Addict

You pretty much right, but do a search. There have been many good discussions on the subject.

My truck for example, would heat my stock rotors up so much they would warp all the time (this is not with normal driving, this was always pushing it) but my solution of cross/drilled rotors has stopped the warping and also increased my stopping power from less heat
Old 08-07-2004, 01:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Start here:

http://home.columbus.rr.com/trackbir...led_rotors.htm
Old 08-07-2004, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want more stopping power, change the pads. But understand that depending on how aggressive you go, they will dust more, make more noise, not stop well until heated up, and eat rotors faster.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:56 PM
roy
TECH Resident

TB , That was the first time I've been on your home page . Nice is all i can say.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roy
TB , That was the first time I've been on your home page . Nice is all i can say.

Thanks Roy. I've got to get more time to work on it. I kept typing the same answers, so I just started that page and tried to make it easy on myself. I really do like to share info, but it is a bunch to type each time and I'm getting old and lazy.....

Quick Reply: Question about cross drilled and slotted rotors.