Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stripped Bolt!! Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 02:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stripped Bolt!! Need Help

I went to lower my friends Z and got too the side with the two star bolts, one came off very easily the other STRIPPED like butter! Now I don't know how I'm going to get it off. Any Ideas!!
Old 08-09-2004, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. You can try grinding a slot in it and using a large straight screwdriver. This works sometimes at best and often twists the screwdriver.

2. You can tack weld a nut onto the top of the bolt. Then apply wrench and remove normally.

3. You can drill the head off of the bolt, then remove with vice grips after you remove the assembly from the car. (you have to "know" that you will get it out after you remove it, or you'll be buying a top shock mount).

4. Vice grips.

5. Take a grinder and grind flats on the side of the bolt (ask Bill on cofba.org, he's seen me do this) to fit a 6 point socket, use a rachet to remove it (or, an impact gun, just lean hard on the gun and let her rip). It helps to grind the chamfer from the edge of the socket for maximum engagement (you won't have much to grab onto, so the chamfer can cause the socket to "climb" off the bolt).

#5 has saved me many times.

Good luck!
Old 08-09-2004, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again!
Old 08-09-2004, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck!