Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hawk HPS pads, whats better for daily fun NJ crazy driving/racing, no squeek or dust!

Old 08-09-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hawk HPS pads, whats better for daily fun NJ crazy driving/racing, no squeek or dust!

I heard and read most of all the reviews on the Hawks and it is too subjective. Basically, seems like they make some squeeking noise, which I absolutely hate, would drive me insane. And they dust more than the stock GM pads.

Therefore, what other pads are available to me that would have just as good if not better stopping power, and less brake dust, and NO squeeeeeeeeeking noise?

NJ roads are stressfull, so a lot of hard stops from high speeds, autoxing to get around slow people and bad drivers, some fun spirited rides on desolate roads, some drag racing, maybe go for an autox.

FYI, will be doing C5 caliper/rotor conversion up front, probably keep stock 02 WS6 calipers on rear.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:49 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Silver Smoke , I feel your pain , you can't have your cake and eat it too when comes to brake pads. With Brake pads its all about compromises. What do you want , low dust , no noise then factory repalcement is good,or after market factory replacement. If you want more out of pad be prepared to sacrifice some noise and dust for superior braking.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Sounds to me like you want stock pads...
Old 08-10-2004, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Sounds to me like you want stock pads...

I was about to say that....
Old 08-10-2004, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

I'm with them.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think in the rush to "upgrade" people forget that our stock brakes are dang good - the rotor and caliper package is just about the biggest thing that could possibly fit in a 16" wheel. Good PBR twin piston calipers. And the rear rotors are actually BIGGER than the fronts - albeit with a smaller caliper. Were talking C4 corvette quality brakes.

Keep the fuid bled, and the rotors replaced when/if they warp, and you've got a lot of stopping power under your foot. Certainly enough for aggressive street driving.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:54 AM
roy
TECH Resident

Yes they are damn good brakes with the proper pad compound matched to what the drivers needs, it will suffice for a while. For me that was about a year. Then I had to move on .
Old 08-10-2004, 10:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by roy
Yes they are damn good brakes with the proper pad compound matched to what the drivers needs, it will suffice for a while. For me that was about a year. Then I had to move on .
Most of us don't have access to the north loop of the Nurburgring
Old 08-10-2004, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TTopJohn
Most of us don't have access to the north loop of the Nurburgring

But maybe one day.....
Old 08-10-2004, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trackbird
But maybe one day.....
If I could figure out a semi-practical way to ship a car to Europe and drive it there for a few weeks, I would love to do it. I think there is a way to get "tourist visa" status for your vehicle, and not have to make any changes to it - just drive it as a US Spec vehicle on a 30 day or 60 day visa of sorts. But I'm not sure exactly how to go about it, and don't have the money for that sort of thing just yet. And I'd want a touch more horsepower than my current 307rwhp before I did it, since Europe is HQ for the new horsepower race. 450 rwhp should do since a Camaro weighs a lot less than an E55 or an S55.

I'd love to pass a big Benz on the autobahn in a Camaro at 170mph
Old 08-10-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

back on topic - stock pads worked well for me with no noise and low dust - and raybestos quiet stops have as well - though they have recently developed a slight squeak - I may go back to stock replacement pads next time.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:33 PM
roy
TECH Resident

OT
TTJ- All that is required is an International drivers license , which can be p/u in the states / proof of international insurance /(must have double white card and green card) , find a shipinng company to ship most do it by cubic feet , A camaro cost somewhere between 800-1100 dollars, plus marine insurance for the voyage. Aloow 4-8 weeks for delivery to port . Clear customs and your in. Don't forget the passport.

Also I may have the Nord schleife , some of you folks have access to the Dragon in Tennesee. I must try that road one time.

TB - I just need to get off my lazy donkey and render some Nring clips so you have something to bite your teeth on.

Okay back on topic
Silver streak Another pad alternative is the Pagid 4-2-1 Pad, this compound is used by a lot of highend manufactures , To include Callaway vettes and camaros
Old 08-10-2004, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OT again-

Thanks for the info Roy! Someone on the BMW E38 board is shipping his supercharged 6 speed manual conversion 1997 740iL from the US to Europe in a few months for a driving tour, and I wasn't quite sure how he was going about it but it sounded like great gobs of fun.

Haven't made it out to the Dragon, but I included a few southern california roads that Motor Trend magazine recommended in their "summer travel planner". Most notably the road in the mountains north of Los Angeles - from I-5 through the town of Fraizer Park - then all the way to highway 33 through the Angeles National Forest - the best twisties I have ever driven.
I was in good form too, having come from a Bob Bondurant course in Phoenix 3 days prior.

Nordschleife vids - particularly if they are of your car - would be greatly appreciated - I'd love to see a big ol' Camaro tearing it up out there!
Old 08-10-2004, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know the stock brakes on my car, at least for NJ driving conditions, kinda suck for me. Remember, its not that easy driving around here. I feel like I'm trying to slow down a train every time I step on the brakes.

I know the C5 conversion up front will help out a little, but just need a little more aggressive pad to help out a bit. But again, squeeeeeeek, wanna keep that mouse in the bag.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
I know the stock brakes on my car, at least for NJ driving conditions, kinda suck for me. Remember, its not that easy driving around here. I feel like I'm trying to slow down a train every time I step on the brakes.

I know the C5 conversion up front will help out a little, but just need a little more aggressive pad to help out a bit. But again, squeeeeeeek, wanna keep that mouse in the bag.

And, as stated, aggressive pads make noise. You have to pay to play. Otherwise, GM might use them stock. But, due to noise, they won't. Hawk HPS do make noise. Sorry.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SilverSmoke

Well, if it just feels like you're trying to stop a train, then maybe they are working fine - the car still stops, doesn't it? And fast enough to throw all kinds of loose **** in the cabin down into the front footwells? (I know mine does this). If so then you've got a problem with brake feel, not braking power. These cars, with stock or stock equivalent pads, just don't have that quick on off lightswitch brake feel like a Toyota. But they sure can stop.

So ask yourself if it's an actual stopping capability issue, or a brake pedal feel issue. If it's just pedal feel, try bleeding the brakes, or installing some stainless steel lines.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

If you're having that big of an issue, I think you may want to consider altering driving habits. If you're hauling your car down faster than what the stock pads are capable of, you're clearly following too closely and are doing nothing more than increasing the chance someone is going to rear-end you.

I've run the stock pads in roughly 60 autocrosses and 9 twenty minute sessions at Road America. No, they weren't ideal on a road course, and no I didn't push them to their limits (though I did on auto-x), but no less, I assure you that you're not driving them as hard as I did. But if somehow you think you are, then I have no doubt you're a menace to the roads.

Squeak and dust or keep the stock pads.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But if somehow you think you are, then I have no doubt you're a menace to the roads.
I resemble that remark!

Wait, that's not what I meant...

There's using your brakes when you need to, and there's using your brakes when you want to. It's not all that different from the go pedal (although good arguments for needing to use the go pedal are few and far between). I personally like stopping almost as much as I like going, but neither of them are as fun as the corners.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by absolut_speed
If you're having that big of an issue, I think you may want to consider altering driving habits. If you're hauling your car down faster than what the stock pads are capable of, you're clearly following too closely and are doing nothing more than increasing the chance someone is going to rear-end you.

I've run the stock pads in roughly 60 autocrosses and 9 twenty minute sessions at Road America. No, they weren't ideal on a road course, and no I didn't push them to their limits (though I did on auto-x), but no less, I assure you that you're not driving them as hard as I did. But if somehow you think you are, then I have no doubt you're a menace to the roads.

Squeak and dust or keep the stock pads.

Like I mentioned before, its hard to understand driving conditions in the Tri-State, especially Nj without actually being here for a while and understanding the psychology of drivers and habits. It's a different world. You go to slow, your get your azz runover, you stay too far back, you get run over, or run off the road, you mind your own business, someone will make it their business to bother and **** you off just for their entertainment. Mind you this is at an average speed of 80-90+mph which is normal driving speed on the hwys. Braking is just as important as stepping on the gas. This is why I have a daily beater which does just fine for this.

But, again, this is entirely off topic.

To the topic above, yes, if I slam on the brakes as hard as I can the car will stop. But that is a lot of pressure, and a lot of time pressing the pedal down to get the car to achieve that stopping power. Something more immediate is needed.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:03 AM
Staging Lane

i can't even remember how much dust stockers made but the hawks aren't that bad. id' say they make less dust but i can't really remember all I know is, they don't make that much. and even stockers squeeled at times, my Hawks after squeeling annoyingly for a couple months have totally stopped.

I have EBC Greens in the back and they dust like mad !!! which is pretty weird considering all the force is up front. maybe cuz those ar e still stock rotors while up front I put Brembo OEMs...

Search this Thread