Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

CreeeeeeeeeaK from the front end - any guesses?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 09:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CreeeeeeeeeaK from the front end - any guesses?

The front end started making a creeeeeeak this sunday - shortly after I drove over something in the road a couple of inches high and heard a thunk - so I may have busted something - but it wasn't THAT tall (2-3 inches max - one of those semi-circular plastic dots that are used to seperate lanes, mark turn lanes, etc..) and shouldn't have hit anything north of the K member or y-pipe.

I put it on the ramps and slid under it sunday night, and everything looks good under there - i.e. the swaybar is still properly connected, nothing looks or feels loose. But when driving at low speeds, i.e. 5-10mph in a parking lot, there's a hell of a CREEEEEAK when coming to a complete stop. You can also reproduce it by turning the steering wheel a few degrees either direction from center. And you can just barely feel it in the steering wheel.

And the wierdest thing - it clunks or creaks from the front end when I close the drivers door?

Its at the dealer now - anyone have any idea what this could be? Almost everything is new in the front suspension - from ball joints to tie rod ends to A arm bushings. If there are bushings that the steering rack mounts to, those are still OE 115K mile parts, and the motor mounts are OE.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:57 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like worn out shocks, they often make a noise like that.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cal
Sounds like worn out shocks, they often make a noise like that.
Oops - forgot to mention - they are brand new (well, a month and a half old) Koni SAs

If nothing's loose under there, I'm not going to sweat the noise - I just don't want a tie rod end or a ball joint or anything else coming undone at 110mph.

Last edited by TTopJohn; 08-10-2004 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Answer - cheap and easy too!

Just got the call - dry ball joints. Duhhh. The thought had crossed my mind, since the replacement ones that are on there as of last month have zerk fittings whereas the original ones were sealed.

whew, that's a relief. Time to buy a grease gun!

Quick Reply: CreeeeeeeeeaK from the front end - any guesses?