Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

best setup for strip and street autox use

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best setup for strip and street autox use

What handling parts make for good strip runs and good handling on the road or auto x courses. looking for a good mix without sacrificing too much of one for the other.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1FAST02FORMULAHAWK
What handling parts make for good strip runs and good handling on the road or auto x courses. looking for a good mix without sacrificing too much of one for the other.
You're going to have to pick one.

Or how about this - a suspension that squeezes every last tenth out of the car at the strip absolutely will not work at all in a corner. But an autox suspension can be compliant enough to get you off the line at the strip - not nearly as well as a full on drag race suspension, but just about as well as a stock suspension.

Would this work for you? A setup where you won't gain anything at the strip, but you shouldn't lose anything either - and it will handle corners a LOT better. If so, we can dispense some advice.

But if you want your suspension to create gains at the track and gains in the corners, it's not really possible.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:38 PM
Launching!

yeah im lookin more for cornering ability with out losing track driveability and lauching capability. so i guess what im lookin for would be the option of gaining handlin with no loss or little gain at the track.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Then I would start with a good set of shocks, and a bigger front sway bar.

I've got a setup from Sam Strano with Koni SIngle Adjustables in front, Bilstiens in the rear(matched to the valving of the Konis), stock springs and a 35mm hollow front bar. The car is dropped a bit - The Konis have a lower perch that lowers the front about a half an inch, and the rear spring isolators were removed and replaced with 5/8 inch heater hose wrapped around the top two coils for about a 3/4 inch drop. The handling improvement over stock is amazing.

While I don't drag race, this setup shouldn't hurt launch ability because it uses the stock springs - and if you want, you could always disconnect the sway bar endlinks before you go to the strip. It seems that stiff springs and slamming the car to the ground are what hurt launching ability.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Launching!

good stuff man thanx for the info, im sittin at 13.150 bone stock so i figure a good suspension wont hurt any and from some artciles and such that ive read a suspension will actually help a lil bit and i wanna b able to throw her into the corners harder as well.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TTopJohn

I've got a setup from Sam Strano with Koni SIngle Adjustables in front, Bilstiens in the rear(matched to the valving of the Konis), stock springs and a 35mm hollow front bar. The car is dropped a bit - The Konis have a lower perch that lowers the front about a half an inch, and the rear spring isolators were removed and replaced with 5/8 inch heater hose wrapped around the top two coils for about a 3/4 inch drop. The handling improvement over stock is amazing.

While I don't drag race, this setup shouldn't hurt launch ability because it uses the stock springs - and if you want, you could always disconnect the sway bar endlinks before you go to the strip. It seems that stiff springs and slamming the car to the ground are what hurt launching ability.
Have been planning on doing this for a long time with Sam. How much did it cost you around? and can the car be dropped 1" all round with stock springs and ground control kit? or is it to that point they need replacing?
Old 08-10-2004, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TTopJohn

Have been planning on doing this for a long time with Sam. How much did it cost you around (PM me if better)? and can the car be dropped 1" all round with stock springs and ground control kit? or is it to that point they need replacing?
Old 08-10-2004, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not familiar with the ground control kit - have to ask Sam about that.

Cost, it was $199 for the bar, $610 for the shocks, plus shipping. I added a ton of replacement bushings since I have 115K miles, so my total was a little bit higher than that.

Quick Reply: best setup for strip and street autox use