Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

painted my calipers this week-end

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default painted my calipers this week-end

I bought a caliper painting kit at the local parts store and also got a set of Camaro decals online and spent the week-end painting. I only got to do the fronts because of thunderstorms and other stuff, but I will do the rears the next free week-end I have. They came out pretty good I think. here are the pics:
Old 08-23-2004, 06:00 AM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good, but you need some better looking rotors.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:42 AM
TECH Resident

Upgrade the rotor to OEM Drilled and slotted. check out irotors.com I like the decal.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice job. Always a easy a noticable upgrade!
Old 08-24-2004, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

bucklwi1, what procedure did u use to paint them? I am planning on painting mine with the same colors as soon as my decals get here. did u follow a specific write up??? Looks good tho
Old 08-24-2004, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sweeeeet...

I got caught in the rain when I did mine as well. Luckily my cousin let me use his shop to paint them in

You gotta upgrade those stock rotors now! Looks even better (if it's possible!)

www.cardomain.com/id/nddragon01
Old 08-24-2004, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was replacing the rotors under warranty from autzone, so while I was at it I figured I would paint the calipers. I bought a brake caliper painting kit for $15 and got the decals on e-bay. I unbolted the calipers and removed the caliper brackets. I used a wirebrush drill attachment and the caliper cleaner included with the kit (i think it was just brake cleaner) to clean the calipers off real good. Painted the caliper brackets with VHT aluminum paint the night before and left the car on jackstands. once the brackets were dry I bolted them back on. Then I painted the inside (the side that is not seen) of the caliper and waited for it to dry. then painted the visible sides and waited for that to dry. put the rotors back on, bolted the caliper back on, touched up a few spots and waited another 3 hours for the paint to fully dry. Then applied the decals.

The time consuming part was making sure the caliper was cleaned thoroughly. I cleaned all of the areas, even the ones that wouldn't be seen. Then it was time consuming to paint half of the caliper, wait to dry, then paint the other and again wait to dry. I'm sure you could do just as good a job in less time, if you didn't paint the non-visible sides. Not hard just be patient to make sure it turns out right.