Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Do I have everything for C5 brake upgrade??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do I have everything for C5 brake upgrade??

This is what I have:

1) Z06 front calipers from Gene Culley (just calipers, not abutment or anything else)
2) SS brake lines for F-body
3) C5 front rotor, f-body rear rotor
4) F-body axxis pads
5) some sort of brake fluid
6) LG relocation bracket for C5 caliper

Now do I take everything from stock calipes and use it with the C5 front calipers like abutment bracket, bolts, screws, etc?

How much brake fluid do I need to do a complete flush with the super blue fluid?

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2004, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

C'mon now. This is what is listed for the bob bishop brackets, but I don't think I need all this do I? parts in question are in bold.

GM Parts List for 93-02 F-body to C5 Front Brake Conversion

GM Part # Quantity Description
12530682 1 Right front caliper (standard C5)
12530683 1 Left front caliper (standard C5)
10445856 1 Right front rotor
10445857 1 Left front rotor
12455799 2 Pad abutment bracket
22163727 2 Front caliper brake hose
12530697 4 Pad abutment guide pin
12530703 4 Guide pin boot
22163795 2 Banjo bolt
10139097 4 Banjo bolt copper washers

GM parts list notes:
<sum> If you want the red Z06 calipers, use Part #s 88895128 and 88895129 in place of caliper #s above. The cost is the same.
<sum> The guide pin bolts come with the calipers, so the part number is not listed above.
<sum> The C5 calipers come fully assembled.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
This is what I have:

1) Z06 front calipers from Gene Culley (just calipers, not abutment or anything else)
2) SS brake lines for F-body
3) C5 front rotor, f-body rear rotor
4) F-body axxis pads
5) some sort of brake fluid
6) LG relocation bracket for C5 caliper

Now do I take everything from stock calipes and use it with the C5 front calipers like abutment bracket, bolts, screws, etc?

How much brake fluid do I need to do a complete flush with the super blue fluid?

Thanks!
The LG brakets basically let you use all your f-body brake parts except the rotors. So you look good. Enjoy the new stopping power. I have Bobs brakets waiting for this winter to be installed, and you have to have all c5 parts for that swap.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brian2001SS
The LG brakets basically let you use all your f-body brake parts except the rotors. So you look good. Enjoy the new stopping power. I have Bobs brakets waiting for this winter to be installed, and you have to have all c5 parts for that swap.
Okay, cool. Thank you!

By any chance, I read that shimms are needed for the brake pads with the C5 calipers? Do I need these if I'm using fbod pads? What do the shimms look like?
Old 08-25-2004, 08:39 PM
Teching In

I did ZO6 calipers a couple of months ago and they work great. The only thing you need to know (that I didn't) is that you will need a set of Corvette anti-rattle springs (they sit inside the caliper and press on the top of the pads). The ZO6 ones are bigger than the Fbody ones and you can only get the Corvette clips with the GM pad set. They do not sell them as a separate part!!. This was a real **** off given that I had already spent a few hundred dollars on new Hawk pads. Anyway a very nice GM dealer gave me a set of clips from a recent C5 break job so I did not have to spend a couple of hundred dollars more on a C5 pad kit just to get two 50 cent parts.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Johnnybgoode
I did ZO6 calipers a couple of months ago and they work great. The only thing you need to know (that I didn't) is that you will need a set of Corvette anti-rattle springs (they sit inside the caliper and press on the top of the pads). The ZO6 ones are bigger than the Fbody ones and you can only get the Corvette clips with the GM pad set. They do not sell them as a separate part!!. This was a real **** off given that I had already spent a few hundred dollars on new Hawk pads. Anyway a very nice GM dealer gave me a set of clips from a recent C5 break job so I did not have to spend a couple of hundred dollars more on a C5 pad kit just to get two 50 cent parts.
Aw shoot!!!!! Thanks for the forewarning. this is with your fbod pads correct? Now I need to know how to get the rattle springs seperate.... ugh.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NAPA sells the C5 springs I was told, I bent the F-body ones and they work OK, not great.
You also need to grind a 1/4 in off of one of the cooling finns on the back of the Z06 caliper and it hits the LG bracket, the F-body caliper doen not have these fins so it clears. You will never see the spot when the job is done.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BillS
NAPA sells the C5 springs I was told, I bent the F-body ones and they work OK, not great.
You also need to grind a 1/4 in off of one of the cooling finns on the back of the Z06 caliper and it hits the LG bracket, the F-body caliper doen not have these fins so it clears. You will never see the spot when the job is done.

do you happen to know what # fin from left to right had to be grinded down, and how much. and if it was the rear part of the fin, or the top part on top of the caliper. I will be painting the calipers before I put them on the car. so will not have the opportunity to pre-fit the caliper, grind, then paint and reassemble.

Thanks again!
Old 08-27-2004, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I cant rememmber which fin but it is on the back not the top and you only have to grind a 1/4 in by 1/4 in corner section off. I did not recoat mine, as it can not be seen

Quick Reply: Do I have everything for C5 brake upgrade??