Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rack and Pinion

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rack and Pinion

I took my car to a local mechanic because it was leaking power steering fluid. The mechanic told me I need to replace my rack and pinion. Has anyone done this themselves or have a link with instructions to how to change it myself. A friend of mine (very mechanically inclined) said he would help me do it. I just want to make sure every thing goes smoothly. Any help would be appreciated... or should I just take it back to the mechanic and have him do it for $100?
Old 08-25-2004, 04:12 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

$100 is not a bad price. It's not the hardest thing to do in the world but if you are on your back doing it it will take a good hour. You have to reach and unscrew the 10mm bolt on the steering linkage can you reach it? There is one at the bottom (need to loosen) and one at the top (holds the linkage onto the column.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn

Yesterday I took my car to the shop top get the rack and pinion replaced. The mechanic I was supposed to have install it told me he wouldn't be able to work on my car until two or three days. So, I took my car to the place that was going to sell me the part. The guy said he can install the part for $85 bucks. I told him, go for it. So 5 hours later, the car is finished. I take it for a test drive and the steering wheel is completely side ways (i know it needs and alignment after it was done). But what was crappy was, the rack was scraping the motor mount, so I felt it scrape every time I turned the steering wheel. I took it back and told the guy and told him that there was something wrong... so he took me for a test drive. He said that an alignment should fix everything... but if it doesn't to bring it back tomorrow (today). So I took it to get aligned and the guy said "who the hell installed your rack and pinion" after he took it for a little test run. He said, either it wasn't installed correctly or its completely the wrong part. Needless to say, the car is back in the shop getting fixed right now. The guy told me he will take car of the alignment at an other shop free of charge and that he will fix the car. I'm just waiting on his call right now. Hope I didn't mess anything up driving the car to get aligned. Oh well, I only paid $180 bucks total for parts and labor. I guess you get what you pay for.