Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

installed eibach springs and now bottom out.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default installed eibach springs and now bottom out.

I just installed a set of the eibach prokit springs. It looks awesome and handles great, sits right at 26.5. My question is the rear bottoms out pretty hard sometimes and I was wondering what the best way to fix this was. Everything else is stock, I think im going to trim the bumpstops down alittle unless you guys advise against it.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

what kit is it? I had both kits, then hals,hated all of them! The Eibach's do bottom out in the rear. I heard people where putting the air bag kit in the springs! But realy you should remove the bump stop so the car can travel. With the stops removed I think the car won't bottom out but the spring coils will bind?
Old 08-26-2004, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

remove the bumpstops and get better shocks. Bilstein HD will do.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

bilstein hd's will definately help, or go slow over bumpsand keep an eye open for changes in road conditions

J
Old 08-27-2004, 02:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man It's going to be hard to not get any lowered vehicle not to bottom out in the rear. best thing to do is to try not to hit a bump with both rear tires at the same time try to hit it at an angle. It seems like every lowered vehicle I've ever drove bottoms out in the back. I used to be in to low rider trucks before I got into F-bodys so I know all about bottoming out. As said above new shocks or the air bags will help.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:05 AM
TECH Junkie

The rear Eibachs are just about as soft as OEM. Its VERY common for this to happen. I'd recommend removing the bumpstop spacers and contacting Sam Strano about some shocks to match the springs.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hate Eibach Prokit . . . saggy *** rear, and bottoms out all the time . . .
Old 08-27-2004, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of buying a decent spring rate, buy expensive shocks to compensate.

Makes perfect sense ... if I were a vendor ...
Old 08-27-2004, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I run the HDs with the prokit and the ride is good, I have no sagging with my kit. I do bottom out every once in a while but in PA we have some nasty roads, so its normally a major bump or road construction crap. I am pretty happy with the kit, if I was to do it again I would most likely do a different spring. But the ride of the pro kit and HDs is great together.

Change your shocks, you will be much happier
Old 08-30-2004, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the input. I gng to cut the bumpstops down and buy a pair of shocks. I love the way my car looks and it sits level with no sag.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by nvrstsfd23
Thanks for the input. I gng to cut the bumpstops down and buy a pair of shocks. I love the way my car looks and it sits level with no sag.
Just to clarify - before you "cut" the stops, try removing the metal spacer that's sandwiched between the rubber and the body. That should buy you another .5" of clearance without impacting the bumpstop itself.

Also, if you're intent on staying with the Eibachs then I would at least get four shocks matched to the springs, not just the rear pair.

Just my .02, of course...
Old 09-02-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I needed my bumpstops or I would shread my tires . . . . the woes of 38 mm offset wheels . . .

Need better coil springs . . . Eibach SUCKS!!!!! I have Koni DA's and the ONLY way to minimize tire damage, is to have the things rock solid . . .

Garbage in my book.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
I needed my bumpstops or I would shread my tires . . . . the woes of 38 mm offset wheels . . .

Need better coil springs . . . Eibach SUCKS!!!!! I have Koni DA's and the ONLY way to minimize tire damage, is to have the things rock solid . . .

Garbage in my book.
Good point. With those aggressive offsets and 315's even rolling the fenders won't help on a lowered car. I agree, the right answer in that case would be stiffer springs and matching shocks. Its a shame too, because I'm running Eibachs on the wife's WRX and they work great and are surprisingly well-matched for the factory struts - for a driver anyway. With the F-body setup the idea of matching the factory cushy ride with the much shorter spring leads to problems. I still wonder how the Sportline guys do it...
Old 09-03-2004, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

If Eibachs are so shitty, what springs would you reccomend that would give you the same look?
Old 09-05-2004, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bottoming out here too with the Pro's and SLP Bilsteins and after removing the metal spacer on the bumpstops. This just started after having them on the car for a couple of years. Just ordered a set of DMS springs to replace the Eibachs. Progressive rears still but a little stiffer rates.
Old 09-05-2004, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Simp
If Eibachs are so shitty, what springs would you reccomend that would give you the same look?
Still searching . . . Hotchkis, come to mind, although I know mitchntx, has probably talked this one to death, but any advice from him would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-05-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Should of gotten the Hotchkis
Old 09-06-2004, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have sportlines and the rear hardly bottoms out, I need new shocks which will help but I have no complaints about the springs. I also didn't want a cushy ride either...
Old 09-06-2004, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

I have the prokit and Hals... and I don't have a cushy ride.

are you really bottoming out? just seems like its rubbing when you hit a bump?

If you are really bottoming out, don't remove the bumpstops at least jsut trim it... keep in mind that your brakelines runs on top of the rearend... that won't be pretty.

If you're not sure if you are just rubbing.. go under the car and look if there's any mark on your tires or wheels inside and outside. If its rubbing there will be a mark. If it is, get an adj panhard to center the rear.. or get a big hammer and remove the wheel that's rubbing... Once the wheel is off.. you will see where the tire is hitting.. hammer that in and put the wheel back..

Good luck.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:49 AM
On The Tree

I have both Eibach P/K's on one car and a set of G2's on the other only the eibachs bottom out and rub on both fenders with 275/19's when 4 people are in the car. The G2's have TTII's 315/17's Nitto DR's and they never rub no matter how heavy the people are in the back seat.Same shocks on both. Same look on both. Eibachs are too soft.

Quick Reply: installed eibach springs and now bottom out.