Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni SA install questions??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Koni SA install questions??

im putting koni sa shocks on the front and 3rd gen konis on the rear. there are 4 rubber pieces and metal seats/retainers that came with the kit...im guessing they are either bushings or bumpstops. i dunno if theyre for the fronts or rears. well, after pulling the stock shock off, compressing the spring and removing the rubber spring perch from the top of the shock...i noticed that theyre isnt enough room for any kinda bushings or bumpstops. the part of the shaft thats exposed is too short. there is just enough room for the rubber spring perch and the little rubber piece inside the perch for the shaft to poke through enough to get the nut on there. is there more to the shaft that isnt exposed? im basically putting the koni shocks on exactly how the stock shocks were and i used all the stock hardware. can someone please chime in and tell me which pieces go where and what parts are necessary?? thanks
Old 09-04-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just did this myself. First, make it easy on yourself and set the adustability of the shock now. And try to have the adjustment slot where you can reach it on the car.

Ok, you reuse everything from stock except the factory dust shield with its integral rubber bumper (there's also a v. small washer in addition to the big washer on top). Onto the new Koni goes the big diameter washer from the Koni box then the factory spring top and insert and then the new Koni nut. (the factory plastic belong the spring and whatever spring you are using actually goes first)
Old 09-04-2004, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Would you also do me a favor? I put the Koni SAs on for a better quality shock AND to lower the nose a bit. After doing this, I am still basically at 27.75" from ground to fender at center of wheel wells all around, except my rt. front is 27.5". Curious how your car measures and whether you used the lower or upper perch on the Konis? And assume you have stock springs all around like me?
Old 09-04-2004, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

nah man, i went with the pro kit and im using the upper spring perch cuz of the shorter springs. oh, and about the shock install, i didnt use anything from the box. i just replaced the koni shock exactly in place of the stock shock. i didnt put any washers in between the shock and upper spring perch. do u think this is gonna be a problem? also, do the koni sa's not use any bumpstops?
Old 09-05-2004, 06:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

The koni has a bumpstop underneath the tight black dustboot. If you put the stock dustboot which has the bumpstop in it on too, you have two bumstops & I don't see how you could fit both. If you have the big washer from the top of the stock dust boot, then you won't miss not having the Koni one.

Would you mind measuring your fenders anyway, for comparison ? How much is the pro-kit supposed to drop ? Is your nose lower than the rear?
Old 09-05-2004, 08:45 AM
TECH Addict

i did use the koni dust boot, i left the factory dust boot on the factory shock....but i didnt use a washer on top of that. is that gonna be a problem?
my nose and rear are perfectly level now. the pro kit drops your car 1.2 inches. my fender wells sit at 26 3/4" on all four corners.

Quick Reply: Koni SA install questions??