Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Getting a clicking, clunking noise in front end

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2004, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting a clicking, clunking noise in front end

The past couple days my car has started to make a rattle, clicking, clunking, ticking noise in the passenger side front end. Today I tore the wheel off and can't find anything. It seems to be getting worse. Any ideas on what I could look for. It sounds like metal on metal like something is just hanging and bumping off something. ball joints or tie rods???
Old 09-06-2004, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

I have a bmr k member and a arms, hal shocks if that matters
Old 09-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

wheel bearings?
Old 09-06-2004, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought bearings made more of a "humming" noise. Atleast that is what my old rear ones did on my LT1.

Tire rids and wheel bearings would be my guess. If those are fine, try putting your stock A-arms/k-members back on and see if the noise goes away. Although, I do not know why those would make a difference.

-Todd
Old 09-07-2004, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

What's the best way to check the bearing?? Pull the wheel, caliper and rotor and check for play and noise??
Old 09-07-2004, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
What's the best way to check the bearing?? Pull the wheel, caliper and rotor and check for play and noise??
I think thats what I did.

-Todd
Old 09-08-2004, 05:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Just pulled the front end back apart and the wheel bearing looks good. I'm totally clueless now. I'm scared to drive the car but can't find the noise. I did see that my lower ball joints have a grease fitting. I'm going to squirt some grease in there. Any chance a dry ball joint could be chattering?
Old 09-08-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

There isn't a screwdriver or something in there is there

Check to see if something makes a noise when you turn the wheel and you are not moving. If it is that, they it will be a steering peice I guess.

-Todd
Old 09-12-2004, 06:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
I have a bmr k member and a arms, hal shocks if that matters
I have the same parts plus LG springs and am having a similar problem. The noise sounds like a loud crack or pop that happens somtimes when turning the wheel near to lock & pulling off from a stop (sometimes) or when the suspension gets unloaded as when going over humps. I can sometimes reproduce the noise by lifting up on the car by the front fender or by pushing up & down on the car by the swaybar. I have checked the swaybar mounts & endlinks for tightness & tehy are OK. Also checked nuts & bolts associated w/ upper & lower A-arm swap (OK as well). Which leaves me to suspect the top shock bolts. Which means I'll have to remove the shock/spring combo (what a pain) - Oh well. Let me know if you find the cause of your problem. I hope this helps you some.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

Tried lifting the wheels and just turn them? If its not making the noise when the suspension is unloaded.. then at least you can isolate anything with the wheel bearing, tires, wheels, brakes, rotors, pads and things like that.

If it makes noise while loaded.. then start checking the suspension... shocks, springs, swaybars if it makes noise when hitting the bump... does it happen when the suspension moves up a speed bump? or down a speed bump?

I wouldnt' suggest this, as it is dangerous.. so becareful if you ever try this.... but this is how i found my annoying clunking... I put the car on jackstands.. then i jacked the problem wheel tire on the tires itself with a jack and a piece of wood... this allowed me to move the suspension up and down so i can see if anything is hitting while its moving up and down... you should try and put a support under the A ARM every few inch or so, so you can remove the jack and turn the wheels again..

Gotta love troubleshooting gremlins.. lol

Quick Reply: Getting a clicking, clunking noise in front end