Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Adjustable BMR torque arm tunnel clearance

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Adj. torque arm hitting tunnel - common?

Last weekend I put a BMR adjustable torque arm on, because the pinion angle was way off with the car lowered (v8 Eibach prokit), and the engine swap (v6 to v8).

The arm is within only 1/8" of the parking brake bracket in the tunnel. The bracket where the single cable splits into 2 cables. It's also within 1/8" of the side of the tunnel. This gives very little travel before things start going bump under there...

Is this typical on a prokit lowered car??

The differential end of the torque arm does have 2 sets of mounting holes. There is a set that would set the arm in closer to the center of the car. But the bracket is against the pinion yoke with that setting, so that set of holes is unusable. So I have to use the other set of holes, which sets the arm out closer to the edge of the tunnel. Even if I could have used the closer set, the arm would still be the same distance from the parking brake bracket, which is in the middle of the tunnel.

Do folks just pound that part of the tunnel up higher for clearance, or what?

Last edited by John_D.; 09-10-2004 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No help here?

I'm just concerned about that bmr arm being up against things under there.

If it's normal, and if it "self clearances" the tunnel, then that's ok, I was just hoping somebody would chime in.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My BMR torque arm makes contact (very rare but it does contact) with the tunnel with SLP Eibachs . . . this is a known issue, not widely discussed. As for the parking brake cable I am not sure, but need to look into that . . .
Old 09-13-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The inner holes on the torque arm bracket are for a 9" rear end! SO don't use those! That Torque arm is not made for those springs, throw the stock springs in there and you will see.