Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

2 problems, need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 12:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2 problems, need help

I'm in the process of adding Spohns Torque Arm, and a PHB from UMI.

The bolt will NOT go through one of the holes on the back passenger side to lock in the PHB? Is thier some wierd trick to getting it in? Do I have to drill the hole bigger? is this a common problem?

NEXT... I already have SLP's DD SFC's on the car... and they bolt on to the tunnel brace the same place the TA does... In which order should I be putting the peices?

Car/SFC/TA OR Car/TA/SFC??? The SFC's add almost a 1/4" should I get longer bolts ? Should I be using LockTite on the bolts?

I'm hoping to get some help soon tonight so I can finish the car up tomorrow... THANKS
Old 09-11-2004, 01:00 AM
Staging Lane

Arrow

I installed my PHB with the car on RAMPS so the suspension is loaded and Nothing moves.. then I used a Jack to support the rear end so I can move it up and down. If you need to center the rear, you will need to put jackstand on the chassis.. then use the jack to support the rear end so you can move it left or right.. its heavy so becareful.

with the SFC.. the suspension MUST be loaded.

I did get longer bolts to install my SFC originally.

Last edited by Ryabut98; 09-11-2004 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you try inserting the bolt from the opposite direction?

The stock bolts are shouldered and one mounting hole is smaller than the other
Old 09-11-2004, 08:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Did you try inserting the bolt from the opposite direction?

The stock bolts are shouldered and one mounting hole is smaller than the other

After about 45 min of trying to figure out every angle out their, I tried putting the bolt in from the other direction, and it would'nt go in... Thats how I knew for sure the hole was too small.

The PHB from Unbalanced came with 2 bolts, 4 ends, 4 washers, 2 nuts... I'm putting them in the same way the stock ones came out. The driver side went in from the back, and the nut was in the front, and the Passenger was just the oposite.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

BMR requires (at least the one I bought did) one to drill out one of the holes to accomodate a slightly larger bolt.

It's the price paid for cheap parts. Instead of paying for a bushing that fits the car, alter the car to get a common, cheaper bushing

MHO
Old 09-11-2004, 08:45 PM
Launching!

1/2" drill bit... PHB bolts went in like it was cool....

The Torque Arm remains a mystery to me,,, and I need some help with this one. The Instructions Spohn sent from my understanding says to go car, Torque Arm, SFC, Washer/bolt. The Passenger side is impossible to do it that way though because one of the bars runs across where the SFC would bolt down at...Unless I was take a good inch groove cut in the SFC fastener it cant be done.

I'm not sure which bolts need to be the "super tight ones" Anyone want to PC paintbrush and show me what's what, and what needs loctite, ect. I'd be greatful!!!
Ledbetteraj@yahoo.com

THanks.

NEXT... I already have SLP's DD SFC's on the car... and they bolt on to the tunnel brace the same place the TA does... In which order should I be putting the peices?

Car/SFC/TA OR Car/TA/SFC??? The SFC's add almost a 1/4" should I get longer bolts ? Should I be using LockTite on the bolts?
Old 09-11-2004, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's cool now.

But like me, you are now railroaded into using THAT PHB for the car's life, unless you alter the mount accept the stock hardware once again or have the PHB machined out.

The high price of cheap parts.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:26 PM
Launching!

OH, I'm sorry, I see what you mean now... Hmm.. good point, I guess by drilling the hole bigger, I did maybe open up a can of worms possibly... BUT I did'nt get a bar from BMR so that's maybe a good start... The bar from Unbalanced "seems" like a very nice looking bar, and I've heard a lot of good things about UnbalancedEngineering.

Still looking for wisdom with the Spohn TA....
Old 09-13-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Shoot I just ordered a bar from bmr. I dont want to drill out my car to fit it
Old 09-13-2004, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a BMR Rod/Rod end bar and had to do no drilling on my car. I no longer have that bar, but it fit properly.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by trackbird
I had a BMR Rod/Rod end bar and had to do no drilling on my car. I no longer have that bar, but it fit properly.

cool I didnt want to drill anything. I was going to call and cancel that part of my order but Ill wait till I get it and see.

Quick Reply: 2 problems, need help