Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sticking brakes and Vibration above 50 and when braking????

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticking brakes and Vibration above 50 and when braking????

Hey guys i posted this in the wrong forum before so here goes... anyways... i know at first glance the solution seems simple. But i just got all new brembo rotors and hawk pads. That didnt solve the problem. Infact i think my brakes are dragging now making the problem even worse. Could it be that the ebrake is holding? When i took off the old rear rotors the ebrake pads were stuck even though i didnt have the ebrake on and i had to really fight with the rotors with a metal hammer to get them off. Maybe the ebrake pads are mangled i dunno??? So that would explain the dragging brake problem i guess. But what about the vibration when driving and braking. Could it possibly be a wheel bearing thats bad? Or do you think that its just due to balancing issues? I rotated the tires and it still does it. Does the fact that it gets significantly worse when braking mean its not a balancing issue or is that a possibility? Also the problem seems to be intermittent. Please help guys.

Thanks in advance,

Ben
Old 09-13-2004, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bengeeee
Hey guys i posted this in the wrong forum before so here goes... anyways... i know at first glance the solution seems simple. But i just got all new brembo rotors and hawk pads. That didnt solve the problem. Infact i think my brakes are dragging now making the problem even worse. Could it be that the ebrake is holding? When i took off the old rear rotors the ebrake pads were stuck even though i didnt have the ebrake on and i had to really fight with the rotors with a metal hammer to get them off. Maybe the ebrake pads are mangled i dunno??? So that would explain the dragging brake problem i guess. But what about the vibration when driving and braking. Could it possibly be a wheel bearing thats bad? Or do you think that its just due to balancing issues? I rotated the tires and it still does it. Does the fact that it gets significantly worse when braking mean its not a balancing issue or is that a possibility? Also the problem seems to be intermittent. Please help guys.

Thanks in advance,

Ben
Check your calipers?

-Todd
Old 09-13-2004, 10:32 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
Check your calipers?
Good point. Make sure the guiding pins haven't seized (they are what the calipers actually bolt into). Inspect their rubber boots too. While you're at it, check the caliper pistons for wear (and their rubber boots).

On the other hand it could be the e-brake. I am not sure what to do about that though.

--

I don't know why I didn't think of this when bengeeee first asked this in the New LS1 Owners section.

Last edited by VIP1; 09-13-2004 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by VIP1
Good point. Make sure the guiding pins haven't seized (they are what the calipers actually bolt into). Inspect their rubber boots too. While you're at it, check the caliper pistons for wear (and their rubber boots).

On the other hand it could be the e-brake. I am not sure what to do about that though.

--

I don't know why I didn't think of this when bengeeee first asked this in the New LS1 Owners section.
I'll check as soon as i get a chance. Unfortunately this is my primary transportation. Any thoughts on the vibration? Someone actually just told me it could possibly be a wheel bearing like i thought. I actually went to school for this... you'd think i would know a lil more then i do lol.

Anyways thanks for the help... keep it coming its appreciated.

Ben
Old 09-13-2004, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

In vibration, does the car act like this:

brake, no brake, brake, no brake. Does the whole car shake and does your pedal vibrate, too?

-Todd
Old 09-14-2004, 10:31 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Is there any noise associated with this vibration? Bearings tend to squeel when they go bad (but not always).
Old 09-14-2004, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Is there any noise associated with this vibration? Bearings tend to squeel when they go bad (but not always).
yeah ive heard that too but i did hear a slight sort of scraping noise when i removed the front left rotor and turned the bearing. I was hoping it wasnt bad. The vibration does not seem to vibrate the pedal. It is getting less frequent now and less prevelant which leads me to believe it could possibly be my ebrake pad wearing down. I dont know tho... im going to go balance my wheels and see if it helps. Im going to replace the pads and see if that cures that problem.

Ben
Old 09-23-2004, 09:24 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Update?
Old 09-23-2004, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Update?

lol well ive been so busy i never got the opportunity to figure it out. It still has slight vibration around 55 but seems to dissapear above that speed so i think its a balancing issue. The brakes seem to be sticking less so the ebrake pad is probably wearing down which is what i thought was causing the problem. I dunno... i know i shouldnt put stuff like this off but going to school, working, and maintaining a social life doesnt afford me the time to work on my car like it used to lol. Thanks for all the help guys.

Next stop... Pacesetter header and Y pipe install

Expect me to post with new problems and questions lol.

Ben