Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Drag Racing on ET Streets is going to put me in the wall...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Drag Racing on ET Streets is going to put me in the wall...

At the local 1/8 mile strip, I cannot break 7.5s because the car begins to swerve pretty radically and I am forced to slow down or potentially wreck.

My best time was 7.51 @ 95mph, and after the following mods were made a few weeks ago, I expected to run a lot better... which the car is stronger, but it is unsafe to keep it floored down the track.

TR224 swapped for a G5X3
KB DD SFC
BMR LCA
BMR TQ Arm
Chromemoly driveshaft
Moser 12-bolt with 4.30's

I'm running MT ET Streets. I started with 15psi and it handled fairly well, but I wanted to hook better off the line. I lowered the pressure down to ~11. Did a HOT burnout and proceeded to pull the wheels off the ground on launch. But from the top end of 2nd on down the track, it took everything I had in me to keep it going straight. I was forced to granny shift and let off several times.

Is this a problem with just the ET Streets? Or do I need to upgrade other suspension components? (panhard, shocks, etc.)

Are ET Drags much better than ET Streets as far as handling? What pressure is optimum for ET Drags vs. ET Streets?

Thanks for all of your input and advice. I just want to launch like a rocket and sail down the track straight as an arrow.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ET Streets make the car feel unstable at high speeds but it shouldn't put you into the wall. My car just kind of sways back and forth but stays straight. I'd look at your suspension or something simple like an alignment.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you running skinnys up front? If not that is your prob.....
Old 09-16-2004, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also- going below 13-14psi is a waste and will do that in a heartbeat. you can also look at hoosier QTP's as you can run more in them than the ET Streets while still hooking
Old 09-16-2004, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mooobunnny
are you running skinnys up front? If not that is your prob.....

arent skinnies just to save weight?
Old 09-16-2004, 09:16 PM
FormerVendor

Skinnies are more then just a weight saver, it does remove added weight which proportionally changes the overall distribution of weight. It also lessons kinetic and static friction.

It is important also to choose the correct setup of skinnies to larger rear tires. The most stable and predictable setup is to stay with SIMILAR tire designs from front to rear. By using a radial front and non-radial rear, your tires will deflect different, this will prove a more unstabe and less predictable straightline run.

An optimum setup for straightline would be using a drag runner runner such as a moroso DS2 or ET drag tire with a similar ET street/slick combo. The front runners are not only designed similar to the rears, it will prove to crown better on during acceleration(less rolling resistance), in addition to spread on deceleration giving actually better stopping ability. It also weighs the least out of any other skinny tire...by a good amount I may add.

I see guys all the time attempting to put larger brakes, better rotors, better pads on to make the car stop sooner, though this is all done in vein when your tire is so small, it does not have the x-sectional area to stop rather then skid! Sure, brake fade may be improved, though it does you no good when all you do is skid easier upon depressing the brake.

These front runners do have a downfall though as turning is a worsened a bit as it doesn't have the sidewall stiffness...(this is one reason why 1573's may be more popular...it is a comprimise, though still not optimum.

It is hard to do more then one thing with a setup and be at optimum.

DVS....To solve the problems you may be having if your not running skinnnies, this is your primary issue. If you are using skinnies, you may consider changing to a drag front runner instead of a street front runner. If your using a drag front runner already, you just need to adapt to the feeling as it won't ride on rails like a road race setup.

Hope this sheds some light on a few.

Steve
Pres.
Old 09-17-2004, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Steve, in a related question, would you still have stability issues running a bias-ply front runner tire, and a radial out back? I'm asking because I will probably be running these M/T drag radials for the rest of the year and next year, and may be looking to pick up a pair of skinnies over the winter to gain a tenth or 2.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

Default Thanks Steve!

Steve,
Thanks for the great information! I did have someone at the track recommend that I needed skinnies, but I just wanted to confirm that other f-body guys had experienced similar handling problems caused by mixing street with drag tires.

Phew, I guess I need to invest in HAL shocks and skinnies now... Right after I just sunk $4,000 and told myself that I wouldn't spend anymore on this car...

Thanks to all who replied with valuable insight!
Old 09-17-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

You definitely have too little air pressure in the rear tires. I tried running 10-11 psi one day in my old Hoosier QTPs, and had to fight it like mad to stay in the lane. I never went below 14 after that.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:00 PM
FormerVendor

DVstate,

With wide tires and radials up front, the majority of your issues lies on the fronts. Of course, real low pressure, as mentioned, will make the car even more "squirley".

After you switch, your car still won't handle like it's on rails, as drag setups aren't designed like RR tire/rim setups...it should be noticably more controllable and give you a much safer feeling.

Nhra,

i'm assuming your referring to a tire like the mtt-1573 front runner...they have a pretty stiff sidewall and should work fine with the drag radials. I'd say if you went with a moroso drag front runner or ET drag front runner, those tires are not a match for your rear drag radials.

hope this helps,

Steve