Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

custom roll-bar first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 02:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom roll-bar first impressions

Well, I waited forever to have my custom roll-bar completed, over 5 months. But I finally picked it up today, and have some first impressions.

I'll try to post some pics this weekend, but it its pretty much a 6-point roll-bar with some additional down-bars (2-points) that extend all the way to the end of the hatch. The sidebars are removable and the main hoop is tied to my SLP subframe connectors. There's also some cross-bracing behind the front/rear seats.

Driving impressions: the owner of the shop warned me a car can be too stiff, and the rear might be too stiff. I was driving my hardtop '91 GTA (which has two SFCs) while waiting for my car to be finished, and the comparison is unbelievable. The rear of the car doesn't seem to flex, period. Its like a rock and the car drives unbelievably smooth (stock suspension). Bumps and road irregularities are soaked up, you almost forget the car doesn't have IRS. What's surprising to me is the front of the car seems to be tied in to the rear much better, I didn't expect the sidebars to do much. Or it could be because the main hoop is tied into the SFCs. Nevertheless the rear now reacts much more quickly if not immediately to whatever direction I point the car, unlike before where you could tell my '01 wasn't as torsionally rigid as my '91.

Other things: the sidebars make the car really tight and homey, the only thing that's tough is getting in and out, and the its hard to signal to the left because I keep bumping into the sidebar. Rear vision: 1.75" diameter tubing was used and some SFI roll-bar padding (1" thickness) was added, I know have a little slit to see out of with the rear view mirror. You can only see about 1-2 car lengths behind the car. I might cut some of the padding in the center to leave some more rear visibility.

Overall I'm very pleased and surprised by how stiff the car is, I really expected more flex to remain.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this a street car? If so, why add this?
Old 09-25-2004, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Is this a street car? If so, why add this?
Its now my daily driver, I'm selling my GTA. To make a car handle better you have to stiffen up something. I sold another '91 T/A that I modified with higher spring rates/shocks/struts along with poly/spherical bearing suspension components. The ride was bone jarring. That was ok 5 years ago but I want something more comfortable now. So I tried the roll-bar out.

Next, I'll start doing suspension modifications but I won't have to use stiff springs/shocks to get excellent handling charateristics. Also, I hope to drag/open road race and believe in safety first.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ask because I want to add a rollbar to my daily driver but every one I've seen has the top hoop too close to your head. Seeing as how I don't drive around with a helmet on, I was afraid I would smack my head into it anytime the car shakes. I figure I would have to have one custom made to put the top hoop about 8 inchs behind my head. I would only want a 4 point to make it easy to get in and out of plus I think the front door bars would hit my elbows. Have you ran into any of these problems?

Also, do you have any pics?
Old 09-25-2004, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I ask because I want to add a rollbar to my daily driver but every one I've seen has the top hoop too close to your head. Seeing as how I don't drive around with a helmet on, I was afraid I would smack my head into it anytime the car shakes. I figure I would have to have one custom made to put the top hoop about 8 inchs behind my head. I would only want a 4 point to make it easy to get in and out of plus I think the front door bars would hit my elbows. Have you ran into any of these problems?

Also, do you have any pics?
I don't bump into the main hoop. Door bars only bump my elbow when I'm signaling to the left. Otherwise it feels more tight inside but nothing interferes. Only thing I've removed is the roll-bar padding on the top of the main hoop, that blocks too much of my rear visibility. I'll try to take some photos this weekend.

Quick Reply: custom roll-bar first impressions