Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Fixed Banging BadZ PHR...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fixed Banging BadZ PHR...

Well, if anyone else had this problem, here's how I fixed it. When I got the BadZ PHR, I was impressed with its quality. However, the rod end spacer/bushings had an I.D. that was too small to fit over the bolts, so I had to grind down the bolts to get them to fit. After installing, there was a horrible banging noise from the PHR. I asked BadZ to send me a set of bushings that were the right size, but he sent me another set of wrong sized ones, so I had to improvise.

I went to the hardware store and bought 14x70mm Grade 8 bolts, washers, and flanged nuts. The bushings I had were a perfect fit onto this bolts. Also, the larger end of the stock stepped PHR bolt is 14mm. So I then had to drill out the one smaller hole to fit the bolt through. Bolted it up with few issues. Then I wrapped the bushings with electritians tape to prevent any banging from the rotation of the PHR. I haven't fully tested it yet, but over a couple spots in my driveway it was silent, no banging.
Old 09-25-2004, 07:38 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Yep, it is disappointing that all of his bushings are 14mm, which is clearly not the size of the stock hardware. I too did this, and am now using 14mm hardware, even with the LCAs. I, however, got tired of the cheap, and more importantly, cheap sounding rod ends clunking and rattling all the damn time. I just replaced it all with poly/poly stuff from Spohn (both LCAs and PHR) today, and I now actually enjoy driving my car again. In order to get this to work (since I bored out all of the frame/rear end holes to 14mm), I had to get the metal sleeves in the poly bushings machined. I should have just told him to make the damn bushings right.

I'm so much happier with my Spohn pieces...I don't even know why I got rod/rod parts. I daily drive the car, and it rarely ever sees the track. The poly was a much better bet.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had BADZ send me new spacers that fit the bolts. He did it very quickly and it was not a problem.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:42 PM

I have sold a ton of these and never once had a fitment problem...What year is your car and is your bolts all thread or half thread and half not? does the OD of the bolt get's bigger at a point where the threads end?
Old 09-27-2004, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

The car is 1999.

The bolt is stepped. There is about 1" of the larger step which is unthreaded. The smaller step is about 1.75" long, and there is 1/2" of it that's not threaded. The bolt says '10.9' on the head. The end of the bolt is chamfered at about 45 degrees.

The bushings I was sent, twice, had an I.D. that was too small for the large step, and too big for the small step. You need a make two sizes of bushings, since the bolt is not a constant diameter.

Thanks for looking into this problem.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:08 PM

How long ago did you purchase them? I can get another set shipped to you. If its been some time that you purchased them, There was a time a while back that there were some of the bushings that were cut like this but not any more as any stock bolt including my stock 99Z bolts will work now and always will. Its not very often do we get negative comments about these pieces....
Old 09-28-2004, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's too late now. I already drilled the holes in the chassis and cant use the stock bolts anymore.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

I feel your pain.

BMR PHB was the same way and I altered my chassis to accommodate it. How stupid I was.

I had to fabricate a new rear mount.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am going through this as we speak! I love the look and quality of the bad z pieces, but the damn banging and rattling makes my car sound like a pos. My wife is about to go crazy. I thought they were just working loose and i have crawled under my car twice to tighten them and i put it on a lift this past weekend. They were a little loose and i got them good and tight but when i left the same old noise was there. Jeff my stock bolts didnt fit tight either. I found a bolt that fit tight but it didnt go through my stock holes. I didnt want to drill them out. My car is an 02. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Quick Reply: Fixed Banging BadZ PHR...