Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Shocks absolutly needed for lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shocks absolutly needed for lowering?

My stock shocks only have 30,000 miles on them. I am gonna lower my car with BMR springs or the Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, not quite sure yet, and the thunder racing lowering package. I know better shocks will help smooth out the ride, but to be honest i don't really mind a bumpy drive. But will leaving the stock shocks mess up performance, or damage anything?
Old 09-30-2004, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would you install headers and leave the stock exhaust?

That is the best description of adding springs and leaving the stock shocks. You shouldn't break anything, but you won't get the best performance.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Trust me...I didn't do shocks at the same time, and that is the biggest mistake I've made with my car.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

what type of shocks do you recommend for someone on a budget?
Old 09-30-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Cheapest decent shocks are Bilstein HD's @ $320. They aren't going to hold up in the long run. They are meant for stock springs. Another option is Strano Bilstein re-valves for $500. They ideal way to go would be Koni SA up front and 3rd gen Bilsteins in the rear for $610.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:42 PM
Banned

i installed a prokit on my car and kept stock shocks and cut 1.55 60' times at the strip all day long on slicks, and had a GREAT handling street car on stock wheels/tire size. and it was all on stock shocks with the pro kit.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z28Maro
i installed a prokit on my car and kept stock shocks and cut 1.55 60' times at the strip all day long on slicks, and had a GREAT handling street car on stock wheels/tire size. and it was all on stock shocks with the pro kit.
That doesn't mean it's right...
Old 09-30-2004, 10:58 PM
Teching In

I have Hotchkis springs and the stock shocks and the car performs and handles fine, Im sure it could be better but its not necessary. I pull 1.7 60fts on drag radials with the mods below.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

The purpose of shocks is not to cut 60' times...that's why you have LCAs, SFCs, and a TA.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dunno bout that. Shocks with very little rebound {stock DeCarbons maybe } could help your sixty foot by allowing the front to come up and put some weight on the rear. That's why they make 90/10s.

You might want to try some Bilsteins as the guy recommended. Maybe a set of slightly used SLP Bilsteins {have a smidge more rebound}. If you can't find a set of used SLP Bilsteins, just try the HDs. It doesn't look like you are too awfull inrested in the twisties and they will be a world better than the stockers.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:17 AM
12 Second Club

Do Not go with BMR springs and stock shocks! Unless you want to bounce around like you are in a low rider. I have BMR springs with Bilstein revalves up front and 3rd gen rears and the ride is 1000X better than it was with the decarbons. I had to basically do the install twice because I didn't change the shocks at the same time I do know someone who used suspension techniques springs and stock decarbons and the ride is very bearable so you may want to consider that route
Old 10-05-2004, 12:45 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Blah.

My car was lowered for over 3 years with stock shocks and I didn't have one single problem. I've also lowered well over 25 F-bodies in the past 5 years on stock shocks without one issue. Stock shocks are JUST FINE for lowering.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

It does sorta matter. If you replace the stock springs with aftermarket lowerings that are substantially stiffer {in some cases 50% stiffer} AND you what to improve handling,,, then you are going to have to replace the shocks.

The stock DeCarbons don't have enough rebound damping for the stock springs {this is relative now,,,, they are better than 90/10s on a 67 Ford Mustang for instance} let alone once they have 50K miles on them and the springs have been upgraded to something thats 50% stiffer.

If you are only looking for looks and don't give a rat's rump about spending your money on improving handling,,,, go right ahead and use the stockers. It's not like you will going bounding off on the side of the road on the first pot-hole you hit.

It's sorta like putting a tunnel ram and two Holley 600 on a stock 350,,, yea,,, it'll look good but it wouldn't have the power to pull a greasy string out of a cat's ***. If you are wanting improved appearance and handling from your money,,,, I really think you might want to buy some Bilstiens at a minimum.

If the cost issue is a big factor, look around for a set of used Bilsteins and then cut a coil of the factory springs.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are three completely different things being brought up in this thread right now. Lowering, drag racing, and handling.

If you want the best drag racing, you aren't going to lower your car.

If you just want a lower car and don't care about anything else, it doesn't really matter.

If you really care about how your car handles, you're going to want a good set of shocks.

Anyone that says they handle great on stock shocks probably has never had a really good set of shocks on their car.

My last car was an 88 GTA. My suspension upgrades on that started off with some Hotchkis springs and swaybars, with stock shocks. Handling improved noticably, but it was still pretty bouncy and the rear could be unsettled pretty easily. On smooth surfaces it wasn't an issue. I eventually bought some Bilstein shocks and the ride and handling improved considerably once again.

On my 99 TA, I've come at it from the other end. Shocks were my first mod, then swaybars, and eventually I'll get some springs. In my own personal experience though, shocks are the single biggest improvement to handling that can be made on our cars (barring any of the models that did not come with the stock deCarbon shocks). The car just feels better. It's more predictable. It's tougher to unsettle, whether with the throttle, the steering, or driving over some rough stuff, and thus it's easier to control.

As far as I'm concerned, the deCarbon shocks that are on our cars have absolutely no business being on any vehicle considered a performance vehicle in any way.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Damian
Blah.

My car was lowered for over 3 years with stock shocks and I didn't have one single problem. I've also lowered well over 25 F-bodies in the past 5 years on stock shocks without one issue. Stock shocks are JUST FINE for lowering.

Nobody said that they would "explode" or anything like that for lowering them on the stock shocks. Just that performance will be less than optimal and quick transitions (kid runs out in the street, etc) can upset the car rather easily. The handling may still be an improvement from stock, but until you drive a car with the proper shocks on it, you'll never know what you are missing as far as performance. I didn't buy Koni DA's for nothing, they really do make a huge difference. The suspension equivalent of installing a new camshaft and heads.

What you meant to say was "Stock shocks are somewhat functional for lowering".

Be safe!
Old 10-05-2004, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZaneO
That doesn't mean it's right...

DOESN'T MEAN IT'S WRONG EITHER.....
Old 10-05-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well. Actually. Springs and shocks work in harmony. When engineers spend hundreds of hours tuning ride and handling characteristics, they are working to match the springs to a vehicle and the shocks to the springs (and vehicle). The spring and shock package is much like any other system in the car. Would you install a new "mega cam" and leave the stock springs? Would you install long tube headers and leave the factory cat-back exhaust? Would you set the rev limiter to 7,000 rpm on an absolutely stock motor? This is not really any different. This is a system, it works as a package. Running the wrong valve springs with a big cam can mean instant failure. The rev limiter will only be an issue if you try to use it. It probably wont' break anything, but it is not terribly good for performance. Running the stock exhaust behind $1000 worth of headers is slightly better. The problem with running stock shocks with lowering springs is that the "problem" may be a loss of control during evasive maneuvers, bumps, transitions, etc. You've not yet had a problem, but if you do, it may be very expensive. It can be a serious safety issue. I'm not saying that it's the end of the world, but it could have very real side effects under some conditions. Do you have to do it, nope (you don't have to do anything you don't want to, this is America). It is a good idea, absolutely.

Anyway, saying it isn't wrong may not technically be incorrect, but it shows a lack of understanding of how these systems interact.

Have fun and be safe!
Old 10-05-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

See the above reply, sport
Old 10-05-2004, 10:17 PM
Banned

hmmm, does eibach even make a shock/strut to work on a camaro? i've never seen any if so. like i said, DOESN'T MEAN IT'S WRONG EITHER. might not be as good (mine is proof that it is just as good) but hell who knows. it's ALL OPINION, so deal with that.

Would you install long tube headers and leave the factory cat-back exhaust? Would you set the rev limiter to 7,000 rpm on an absolutely stock motor?
myself and countless others have done BOTH with GREAT results.

sure the systems interact with eachother, but what setup do you have? what setup doe 90% of other guys with a drop have? what, a prokit with HALS.... that's what i have now. ok, well does that mean that the hals were specifically designed for the pro-kit NO, does it mean that the hals with the pro-kit are the **** YES....
Old 10-05-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Great way to make a good impression, newbie. Keep it up...you'll be loved around here.

Hals are drag racing shocks, not shocks designed for optimum handling. They may work fine for you on your drag car. Proper and what-works-for-you may not always be the same

Calm down and enjoy the site...you'll live longer.

Quick Reply: Shocks absolutly needed for lowering?