Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

GC coilovers question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GC coilovers question...

i have the ground control coilovers on the front of my car and it makes this claking noise everytime i go over bumps and stuff, my cousin (who has had coilover setups before) said his did the same thing and that most adjustable coilovers setup do that. does anyone else experience this? and one more question, i get a vibration at 75-80 mph but after that its gone. it doesnt matter what gear im in, it still does it. do i just need to get the wheels balanced or what? thanks in advance fellas.

Kyle
Old 10-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

no one???
Old 10-06-2004, 02:35 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This doesn't sound so healthy...I have Ground Controls on all four corners, and mine is dead silent. What you are describing sounds like a loose bolt somewhere...maybe Sam Strano can chime in?
Old 10-06-2004, 02:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

My car too is silent. I'd say your upper shock mount nut (the one that is on the shock shaft and hold the mount on) is not tight. Common problem, and even a little slop will cause a clunk over bumps.

There is nothing on a coil-over that would cause more noise than stock. Rattles are something loose, and the spring can't be as the weight of the car is pushing down on them.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-06-2004, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

god i hate my car, i will jack it up and tighten that stupid shock mount bolt, thanks again sam, you are the man.

Kyle
Old 10-06-2004, 02:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Hope that's it.... It'd help to wind the spring down so there is no tension on the mount. Tighten the nut (you'll need to pull the shocks out to do it) and you should be fine.... Just make sure you get the upper ball joint castle nut tight enough too!

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!