Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

wheel and suspension questions inside...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel and suspension questions inside...

now that the cam is in and the tune happens this weekend...i think its time to turn to some suspension mods.

I dont drag race, but i do like to have a little fun on the weekends when its dry. I do alot of driving in baltimore city so the roads aren't the best for suspension mods so the short list i've written up consists of the following:
1. Subframe connectors
2. Lower Control Arms (depending on if i can find them used/cheap)
3. panhard bar (adj. or non-adj?)
4. lca relocation brackets

now i've heard that the lca relocation brackets can help even if you aren't lowered? but i haven't been able to find any information to back up this claim. if anyone could shed some light on that as my searches have been unsuccessful. I will not lower my car, the city driving here sucks and i really need that stock ride height so will these mods help some with respect to grabbing the road a bit better?

Also i have a set of 17x9 ss wheels sitting at my house, i gotta get tires...would these be an improvement that i could feel with handling over my 16x8's i have now?

Sorry for the questions, i've tried the searches and i can't seem to find the information im looking for about this stuff. anything you guys would scratch off my short list or if you think i should add something and put it into the plan please feel free to do so.
Thanks
Travis
Old 10-15-2004, 02:54 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slik98z
I dont drag race, but i do like to have a little fun on the weekends when its dry.
Thanks
Travis
I see you don't drag race, but what is it that you do? What do you mean by "have a little fun?"

Not knowing any more that that, but assuming you like to turn corners a bit, I sugest you forget everything on the list and put a set of single adjustable Koni's on your car. They will improve the handling more than any other one thing you could do. Plus, since they are adjustable, you can leave them turned down all the way for "normal" driving on bad streets, then when you want to have some fun on weekends, crank them up.

The next best thing you can do is put some good tires on the car. But don't use the SS wheels; sell them! I don't know how GM/SLP came up with 17x9, but that's a real odd-ball size for serious handling IMO. They are too narrow for a 275, but too wide for a 245. That leaves 265's or 255's which are hard sizes to find. I sugest you get rid of those wheels, and get some 17x10 aftermarket wheels, or at least some 17x9.5 Z06 wheels. 16x10 is an even better size if you can find some. Stay away from 18's. Then put the stickiest 275's on those wheels you are willing to deal with. The stickier the tire, the faster they wear out, so you have to decide how often you want to buy tires.

I have all of the parts on your list on my car; they help but are not the most important things to get first. Remeber this: Konis's and sticky tires will do more for your car's cornering than anything else!

Oh, I almost forgot, get a good wheel alignment that maxes out your (negative) camber! You will surprised the difference that will make.

Last edited by Cal; 10-15-2004 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

by weekend fun i mean, quick runs on the street, nothing excessive. a trip to the track every once in a while once i get the car where i want it before i go. I had koni's and lowering springs on a95 gt vert i had before the camaro, and i loved the cornering but the ride was rather unforgiving. I do know that the majority of the shitty ride quality was due to the springs, but with the shocks alone should i be ok? im hearing good things about the bilstein revalved shocks...would these work decently with stock springs?

i've heard some people say that you can have wheels widened? would i benefit from widening my rear 16x8's to 16x10s? considering they are chrome 16x8's i think if expanding the rear wheels to 16x10's would work, it would definately look a hell of a lot better (plus tiers for the front wheels would be cheap as hell still hehe). i've normally purchased new tires just about every 12 months or so. even if they are not worn down all the way i like to make it a point to keep new shoes on the car.

thanks for teh reply
Travis
Old 10-16-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is illigel to have tires on the street that sick out, atleast in my state. It may be nation wide. 16X10 might stick out. If you mean a little fun, getting on it from a dig, lower control arms, relocation brakets, torque arm would help a lot. And sfc are the best mods for this car

-Todd
Old 10-17-2004, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

What Cal said is great advice. I would like to add a 35mm front sway bar AFTER the Koni shocks and a good set of tires and wheels. I would probably use the 17X9s just because they are there. They are on the small side for a 275 but they will work OK.

Leave the control arms alone unless you are getting wheel hop. If you do decide to get LCAs,, get some that has at least one rod end. Poly on both ends is a bad thing for handling {it binds up the rear suspension}.

As far as the Panhard bar goes,,, get a aluminium rod ended one if you get one. Rod ended panhard bars really don't make much noise {compared to rod ended LCAs}.

Have fun, be safe and play conservatively on the street.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:17 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

16x10's don't stick out at all; that's what I have on my car. Of course it depends on what the offset is. Shocks can give the car a harsh ride just like springs can. If you get Koni's at least you can adjust the ride to what you want, or change it for what you are doing with the car.

Quick Reply: wheel and suspension questions inside...