Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

$1000 to spend on suspension, please help...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $1000 to spend on suspension, please help...

im driving myself crazy over this ****...i just want to finally GET whatever im going to get...ive read everything i could possibly find and yet i still cannot make a decision
its an '02 ws6, i already have SFC's...i would LIKE it to be lowered about an inch, i want better shocks, and obviously need an aphr....i keep getting tossed in different directions everytime i start to buy something

my 'goal' is for it to handle PRETTY well...not some kind of title winning set up or anything, and i want it to look better as well
it will RARELY go to the track..drag or autox
i dont want to compromise straight line for the sake of twisties...but i want it to handle well regardless

what should i buy...and/or what would you buy with 1000 bucks
keep in mind that includes having the **** installed...i have no place, and no means of doing it myself right now

TIA
Old 10-21-2004, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

*I* would do Koni SA front shocks (which allow for ~3/4" drop) and 3rd gen Bilstein HD rears (with hose mod for ~1/2" drop). You can get a PHR if you want or if necessary.

That should be right at $1000 installed.

This gives a great platform to build from in the future.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

that seems kind of "rigged"...i dunno
i dont want to have to mix and math odds and ends of ****

at the very least i want to be able to just order the thigns, like youre saying..just from the website or whatever and not have to go out searching for stuff

maybe im expecting it to be easy to buy some suspension parts??
Old 10-21-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with Hotchkis springs (1") and SLP revalved Bilstein shocks, about $600 worth. The handling is insane to say the least. Compared to other springs, there are pretty stiff and almost eliminate body roll. I love this setup. Other mods are in sig. Ofcourse a killer suspension setup is useless without a set of tires to compliment.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02blackws679ta
that seems kind of "rigged"...i dunno
i dont want to have to mix and math odds and ends of ****

at the very least i want to be able to just order the thigns, like youre saying..just from the website or whatever and not have to go out searching for stuff

maybe im expecting it to be easy to buy some suspension parts??
Haha...that setup is certainly not "rigged" or mix-matched. It is a highly recommended setup from a championed f-body SCCA racer, Sam Strano. www.stranoparts.com That specific package is available on his website.

Shocks are the weakest componenet of the f-body suspension. This is the one thing that you do not want to take short-cuts on.

I would suggest contacting Sam and discussing your needs and wants with him. He will get you the right parts for your specific application, and he won't sell you things you don't need.

Old 10-21-2004, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I went with Hotchkis springs (1") and SLP revalved Bilstein shocks, about $600 worth. The handling is insane to say the least. Compared to other springs, there are pretty stiff and almost eliminate body roll. I love this setup. Other mods are in sig. Ofcourse a killer suspension setup is useless without a set of tires to compliment.
thats pretty much all i want but was, and have been told that the bilstein hd's wont work well..for very long, with lowering springs, even though i just want an inch..most likely the BMR springs

EDIT: yours are revalved? where can you find revalved bislteins for that cheap?
Old 10-22-2004, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

The SLP Bilsteins are revalved- to SLP's specs. If I remember right, the SLP Bilsteins have a smidge less conpression damping and a bit more rebound damping than the HDs. They are not the same revalveing as the Strano revalves though.

I had a set of SLP Bilsteins with a set of LT1 Eibach Pro springs. Worked pretty well for a somewhat cheap setup {both the shocks and springs were used when I bought them}. I stepped up to Koni DAs and Ground Control coil overs in the fron, same LT1 Eibachs in the rear.

ZaneO is giving good advise. For a thousand bucks,,,, it's about the best you are going to do if you have to pay labor. Call Strano.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZaneO
*I* would do Koni SA front shocks (which allow for ~3/4" drop) and 3rd gen Bilstein HD rears (with hose mod for ~1/2" drop). You can get a PHR if you want or if necessary.

This is the same set up I'm planning on. Throw in a sway bar (35mm ST in my case) and some springs and it ought to "handle like its on rails".
Old 10-22-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
This is the same set up I'm planning on. Throw in a sway bar (35mm ST in my case) and some springs and it ought to "handle like its on rails".
see thats the thing...more money for springs, sway bars, etc
Old 10-22-2004, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

That's why I said if you start with my recommendation that you would have a great platform to build from.

You cannot take $1000 and expect to have the perfect suspension.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's why I said if you start with my recommendation that you would have a great platform to build from.

You cannot take $1000 and expect to have the perfect suspension.
i dont want the perfect suspension...ill never have any 'use' for it to be THAT good...i just want decent, and i am sure there is a "formula" for a decent all around suspension for under a grand....i hope anyway
Old 10-22-2004, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

Just go with eibach all around with their complete set up, u will be satisfied.....
Old 10-22-2004, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

i dont want the perfect suspension...ill never have any 'use' for it to be THAT good...i just want decent, and i am sure there is a "formula" for a decent all around suspension for under a grand....i hope anyway
That "formula" is very close to what I suggested, but that's obviously not what you are looking for, so just ignore my advice.

Have a great day.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Hotchkis Springs: $220
1LE sway bars w/ poly end links: $210
Adjustable PHR: $163 (yes, they can be had cheaper. This is a Global West adjustable model from a sponsor)
Bilstein HD shocks: $309

Total: $902. This leaves you money to spare, to put toward getting a good alignment.

Now, let me tell you MY PERSONAL experience and you can take it or leave it.

I just installed the Hotchkis springs and KYB GasAJust shocks. Yes, they're cheap shocks. Yes, I know everyone is going to tell me I should have bought Koni SA's or revalved Bilsteins and all that jazz. Here are the reasons I went with the KYB's:
1) I had these shocks on my old Monte Carlo SS and they were great on that car.
2) They are inexpensive
3) The have a lifetime guarantee (yes, so do the aforementioned Konis and Bilsteins, but some shocks don't)
4) This is my daily driver and it does not see track time

That said, they have done great for me so far. I've had them on for two weeks and I love the way the car looks and there is almost no difference in ride. Notice, I did not say "handling", I said "ride". In my mind, those are two different, albeit related things. These are my experiences so far. Your results and tastes may vary. That's all I'm going to say about shocks.

-Mike
Old 10-22-2004, 10:54 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't ignore what he said, this is excellent advice. Those Koni shocks will do more for your car's handling than any other one thing you could do. There happens to be a good reason they can get that much money for them. And for no additional funds, you could pull the stock springs off and remove one coil from each and have it lowered even more. Then get a wheel alignment done that maxes out the negative camber, with zero toe, and you will be amazed at how your car does corners.

Last edited by Cal; 10-22-2004 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That "formula" is very close to what I suggested, but that's obviously not what you are looking for, so just ignore my advice.

Have a great day.
im not ignoring your advice, i appreciate anyone and everyones advice...but the 'formula' you're giving me is for a much higher level of performance than i really need, or want i guess...and a big factor of what im wanting is a slight lowering..so i guess looks are 45% of what im wanting and performance 55% lol
Old 10-23-2004, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, somewhat simple answer.

1.Get Bilstein HDs {350 bucks or so?}, get a coil cut off your stock springs {almost free!}. Or spring the 200 bucks or so for a set of Eibach Pros.

2. An adjustable panhard bar {150 bucks?}.

3. Maybe if you have any money left over,, a 35mm solid front bar {150-200 bucks?}.

There you go,,, around 700 bucks worth of parts. Labor for installation and an alignment {around a 1/2 a degree of negative camber} should get you right at the 300 dollar mark.

Saying that, I think you would be happier with ZaneO's advise if you would just try it. Unless you are running 315s in the back, you don't really "need" an adjustable panhard bar if your are only trying for an inch or so drop.

You might have "less goodies under the tree" but they will be better goodies. If you feel that you want more later on,,, get them. But one thing is for sure,,,you will not be outgrowing the shocks anytime soon.

Now go buy what you want and be happy,,,have fun,,, it is supposed to be fun. It seems that you might be making this a bit more complicated than it needs to be.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Judd
Ok, somewhat simple answer.

1.Get Bilstein HDs {350 bucks or so?}, get a coil cut off your stock springs {almost free!}. Or spring the 200 bucks or so for a set of Eibach Pros.

2. An adjustable panhard bar {150 bucks?}.

3. Maybe if you have any money left over,, a 35mm solid front bar {150-200 bucks?}.

There you go,,, around 700 bucks worth of parts. Labor for installation and an alignment {around a 1/2 a degree of negative camber} should get you right at the 300 dollar mark.

Saying that, I think you would be happier with ZaneO's advise if you would just try it. Unless you are running 315s in the back, you don't really "need" an adjustable panhard bar if your are only trying for an inch or so drop.

You might have "less goodies under the tree" but they will be better goodies. If you feel that you want more later on,,, get them. But one thing is for sure,,,you will not be outgrowing the shocks anytime soon.

Now go buy what you want and be happy,,,have fun,,, it is supposed to be fun. It seems that you might be making this a bit more complicated than it needs to be.

lol yes, i deffinitely am making it MUCH more complicated than it should be...btw, i am running 315s out back
Old 10-23-2004, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats pretty much all i want but was, and have been told that the bilstein hd's wont work well..for very long, with lowering springs, even though i just want an inch..most likely the BMR springs

EDIT: yours are revalved? where can you find revalved bislteins for that cheap?
HD's are NOT the same as Revalved. Strano has them revalved for around $330 I think.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
HD's are NOT the same as Revalved. Strano has them revalved for around $330 I think.

330 on top of the already 300 something for the shocks themselves maybe, but not 330 outright unless ive been seriously mistaken....
i wish they were 330 outright, i wouldnt be trying to make a decision still lol

Quick Reply: $1000 to spend on suspension, please help...