Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

$@&*(! bleeder bolt!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $@&*(! bleeder bolt!

2 weeks ago I removed and rebuilt the front calipers with new dust boots and seals.
I bled the passgener front calipers with no problems, then I moved to the driver's side caliper and I could not get the bleeder bolt out no matter what.

I used a wrench on it (100% sure it's the right size) and it slipped. Then I took out the vise grips and tightened it hard as possible, it slips still and rounded off the bleeder bolt.
Then I used WD-40 and penetrating fluid, it still slips with the vise grips.
I used a torch on the caliper and freezed the bleeder bolt, still the same crap, slips and doesn't move.
As a last resort, I hammered a deep socket on it and used a 3/8th drive wrench on it, as I excepted, the bleeder bolt broke. About 3-4mm sticks out from the caliper.

I had to go on a long trip in 2 days. I had my bro (he works at a independent owned auto shop) get me red front corvette ZO6 calipers. They came the next day and bolted em up, bled it with no problems.

I went to sears last night with a $10 off on purchases over $20 and got me a 6 piece power extractor set:

Today I put the passgener calipers on the vise and used the 5/16th M8 extractor. It had no problems drilling through the bleeder bolt (reverse metal bit) then I used a wrench to set the extractor into place (you hold the wrench and run the drill in reverse, in the same way as the drilling procees) and the extractor goes into the bleeder bolt and a very tight grip.
Now here comes the part where it's time to get that sucker out with the extractor tool. I put the drill to full power reverse and at least a few times, the bolt won't budge! Pissed I took a wrench to the extractor and it wouldn't even move a bit. It really like welded on.

Now I have 2 freshly rebuilt calipers with no time on the new seals and dust boots all because of this "welded on" bleeder bolt

Passgener side ok, driver side I can't bleed. Now what should I do with them?
Old 10-25-2004, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No suggestions or advice?
Old 10-26-2004, 12:01 AM
Launching!

Make the driver side one into a paperweight or a door stop........because thats about all its good for now. If you can remove the new seals and boot you can use them later.

Quick Reply: $@&*(! bleeder bolt!