Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Are LT1 and LS1 struts the same?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are LT1 and LS1 struts the same?

I bought a set of used Hotchkis springs from a guy in our car club, and he left the old struts on them. These used to be on an LT1 car. Will I be OK if I just use his struts, or should I get a compressor tool and take them off and use my struts?

EDIT:
If I have to take the struts off, where do I get a spring compressor tool from? Does anyone know if Checker rents these out, and what exactly are they called? I've rented valvespring compressor tools before but I'm not sure what to ask for for a suspension spring compressor. hehe.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, our cars do not have struts; they have shocks.

As far as I know, they should work, but someone else may be able to give a definite answer.

Most auto parts stores will rent spring compressors. Just tell them what you need.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are they the same shocks? If not, use the better ones. If so, they whole assembly is the same. The LT1 cars had the iron engine block and were a tad heavier up front, so the LT1 springs might sit the car a tiny bit higher, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

If you do take them apart, try to at least replace the bumpstop with an aftermarket one. The factory unit is extremely stiff and limits the suspension travel too much.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah they're identical except for the springs being slightly different as Jason said. When I put Koni's on my LS1 car, the take-offs went onto my LT1 car no problem.

Quick Reply: Are LT1 and LS1 struts the same?