Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

100MPH shake rattle and roll

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 100MPH shake rattle and roll

I have Spohns Adj. tunnel brace mounted Torque arm, and I have the famous 100 mph car vibrate/shake....

Has anyone found a fix for this? Is it in the pinion angle? Drive shaft out of balance a little maybe?

Any thoughts?
Old 11-02-2004, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would lean towards the drive shaft out of ballance or the bolts being torqued too much. What kind of tires do you have? Whens the last time you had them ballanced/rotated?
Old 11-03-2004, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Shouldn't be the driveshaft as it would do it at any high rpm! Tires,balance, and alignment. Is what you need to look into.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:13 AM
Launching!

Ruling out the Driveshaft because it should do it at any high RPM's... I already thought on that one, then I got to think that after you shift gears, with the smaller/bigger gears inside the tranny turning now... Would'nt it turn the driveshaft faster and faster as you went up through the gears? Or am I wrong on this one?
Old 11-03-2004, 09:52 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Driveshaft rpm is directly related to the car's speed, and indirectly related to engine rpm depending on which gear you are in. So yes, driveshaft problems show up at certain speeds, not rpms. Try unhooking the driveshaft and turning it 180 deg, then putting it back on. Yes pinion angle can also cause this, so check that. So can tire problems like balance and uneven tread wear. Also worn front suspension parts like ball joints, tie rod ends, and control arm busings. Possible wheel alignment too, but not likely. Just go though all the possibilities until you isolate the problems.
Old 11-12-2004, 01:32 AM
12 Second Club

i have the same exact problem your having bud.....my pinion angle is set at -2 now...and i still have the vibrations.....but i DO know that i deperately need new rear tires...as soon as i get em...ill let ya know what happens.....any luck btw??? i know its not my driveshaft because i have spun it already, and i got rid of some of the vibration...up until 100 mph...i think you have the same torque arm as i have....heres my pics of it...

that the same one you got?
Old 11-12-2004, 03:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have your wheels/tires balanced first. That is most often the problem.

Quick Reply: 100MPH shake rattle and roll